Why become a member? ×

MarkBass UK maintenance - help needed please!!

kolossusuk

https://www.realelectronics.co.uk
I’ve usually got through on phone okay but I seem to remember the lady who answered asked me to send an email with the info/details of work.

I’ve come across a few companies that are currently putting out this ‘difficult to address business is not as usual’ attitude so we have to hang in there best as possible……..good luck but check what they may require to do and the cost.

I have a Markbass head in the loft because of the impossibility of getting an affordable repair.

However, a Basschatter said he ordered a part from them and found a local guy who could fit it.

Annoyingly I can't remember who he was.

When an amp is not designed to be repaired at the component level, you generally get the benefit of a more inexpensive purchase price but then suffer the consequences of needing to replace assemblies rather than component level repair. This is not a big deal where the designs have a history of long, reliable life, but can be very costly (for both the manufacturer and end user) if the failure rate is high and the failures affect amps less than say 10-15 years. 

At this point, doing the "true cost of ownership" calculations shows that the cheaper amp built this way may in fact be more expensive than the more expensive amp that has a longer, more trouble-free life. 

As a society, we have become more accepting of "disposable" consumer goods, and there are companies within our industry that specialize in this model. Ultimately, when these products are manufactured "off shore", not only is there the loss due to the cost of a product that is considered disposable, but there is also the loss of income to those within your region who would have built the product "in region" or "in country" that affect the local health of the economy.  This is something that we began studying in engineering economics back when I was in university (a very long time ago, I assure you), I assume that it has taken on added importance in recent years.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, agedhorse said:

At this point, doing the "true cost of ownership" calculations shows that the cheaper amp built this way may in fact be more expensive than the more expensive amp that has a longer, more trouble-free life. 

Everything is relative of course, however the Markbass is not a cheap brand. The cheap stuff I own has run and run without a problem. All the expensive stuff on the other hand is either economically unfeasible to repair or costs an absolute fortune just to service.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, agedhorse said:

When an amp is not designed to be repaired at the component level, you generally get the benefit of a more inexpensive purchase price but then suffer the consequences of needing to replace assemblies rather than component level repair. This is not a big deal where the designs have a history of long, reliable life, but can be very costly (for both the manufacturer and end user) if the failure rate is high and the failures affect amps less than say 10-15 years. 

As a society, we have become more accepting of "disposable" consumer goods, and there are companies within our industry that specialize in this model. Ultimately, when these products are manufactured "off shore", not only is there the loss due to the cost of a product that is considered disposable, but there is also the loss of income to those within your region who would have built the product "in region" or "in country" that affect the local health of the economy.  This is something that we began studying in engineering economics back when I was in university (a very long time ago, I assure you), I assume that it has taken on added importance in recent years.

From a separate thread where the OP stated that he bought this amplifier second-hand I get the impression it may be as much as 10 years old. I'm not saying that the previous owner knew of a problem but failure after only two gigs is quite "unlucky".

Any Markbass LM sized head (LM2,3, 250, Tube, etc) will slot into this combo. The OP might find a newish second-hand one for less than a repair. I'm also not so sure the authorised repair shop will supply this assembly without performing the repair itself.

Edited by Sparky Mark
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, stewblack said:

Everything is relative of course, however the Markbass is not a cheap brand. The cheap stuff I own has run and run without a problem. All the expensive stuff on the other hand is either economically unfeasible to repair or costs an absolute fortune just to service.

I have nothing to share other than anecdotes, but I find that when expensive stuff breaks, it costs the same (or sometimes more) than when the cheap stuff breaks. The difference is that the cost of repair relative to the cost when bought new is significantly lower. As I say, this is anecdotal so perhaps I've been unlucky.

Should say now that the standout exception to this for me in the bass world is Acoustic Image. I've had multiple failures out of warranty and they've done good by me at no charge other than the cost of postage to them. Suspect that if and when my head breaks again they'll fix it for a nominal fee, but if it does become unrepairable I would buy an identical replacement (while sobbing into my pillow at night.)

• Like 3

On 19/07/2022 at 13:53, stewblack said:

This may be your own personal experience with limited brands or models, but my experience is that this is not true in general.

8 hours ago, agedhorse said:

This may be your own personal experience with limited brands or models, but my experience is that this is not true in general.

This is my experience. I said that. I can only share my experience everything else is heresay.

• Like 1

I can't do anything about that. If I've had a Behringer head never let me down for over 20 years and a succession of Markbass, Trace Elliot, Ampeg (to name a few) crap out on me, I'm bound to be wary of throwing any more money at 'names'.

Human nature innit?

5 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I can't do anything about that. If I've had a Behringer head never let me down for over 20 years and a succession of Markbass, Trace Elliot, Ampeg (to name a few) crap out on me, I'm bound to be wary of throwing any more money at 'names'.

Human nature innit?

Go with your gut then.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, kolossusuk said:

I seem to recall that the power modules were upgraded, due to known issues, in later versions of the CMD 121 / LMs - Any idea when that happened, please? 

I've never heard of this; are you sure your memory is correct? Markbass changed from class AB to class D power amps sections in 2012 but that was an evolution not because of any known issues. 

• Like 1

I was about to push the button for a replacement when I got a call from Essex Amp Repairs - they fixed mine - they were as surprised as me.... 90 day warranty so I may be back! Just collected - 60 mile round trip and tested as working. Controller switch was the problem...

Edited by kolossusuk
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, kolossusuk said:

I was about to push the button for a replacement when I got a call from Essex Amp Repairs - they fixed mine - they were as surprised as me.... 90 day warranty so I may be back! Just collected - 60 mile round trip and tested as working. Controller switch was the problem...

That really is a result. 

• Like 1

On 31/07/2022 at 22:07, Sparky Mark said:

I've never heard of this; are you sure your memory is correct? Markbass changed from class AB to class D power amps sections in 2012 but that was an evolution not because of any known issues. 

Yes my memory is spot on and also confirmed across the markbass forum. It was addressed in the second generation version..

2 hours ago, kolossusuk said:

Yes my memory is spot on and also confirmed across the markbass forum. It was addressed in the second generation version..

Can you remember what the issue was and/or link to the forum you are referencing please? Thanks 

Edited by Sparky Mark
  • Like 1

On 31/07/2022 at 13:45, kolossusuk said:

I seem to recall that the power modules were upgraded, due to known issues, in later versions of the CMD 121 / LMs - Any idea when that happened, please? 

Other than you asking this same question on FB there's nothing I can see about systemic problems with Markbass power modules? I've read thousands of Markbass related posts both on here and Talkbass and never seen what you remember?

• Like 1

On 19/07/2022 at 14:32, agedhorse said:

I was in the 'Audiophile' Hi Fi Business from 1980-2002 bought a Denon Power Amp in 1984 Moved it to A/V use in 1990 and never turned power off played TV, VHS and DVD'S basically was in actual use 10+ hours per day and only replaced it in 2019 for convenience but I digress. Then is when Projection Tv's hit the market I became familiar with Board Swapping which is much the norm for electronics now.

Like you have said I have come to accept along with 'Disposable' syndrome.

BUT I have never fully considered the 'Side Effects' and consequences until reading your post. Sorta speechless now

I have used from 1975 Peavey and Ampeg Tubes, Ampeg SS, SWR, Hartke, Trace Elliot, Roland, G&K RB, and some I can't remember. Most bought used except SVT, 1000's of Gigs and rehearsals and never had a failure/breakdown not even static from pots up to 2013 Markbass CMD 121P bought used in 2019 after 3 months had famed low output on startup. Replaced with 2007 Markbass Combo Head been working great😀

Edited by Nebadon2000
Content
  • Like 1