Why become a member? ×

Gibson EB2 1966 Cherry red with original case. Short Scale.
£3000
Bishops Stortford Hertfordshire

WishIcouldplay

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 25/08/2022 at 08:43, WishIcouldplay said:

yes it is

These had a 30.5" scale, so add 'short scale' to your topic heading and you'll get a whole different audience. I only play short-scale basses so that's what I search on the Basses For Sale topic. Only spotted this one as it happened to be top of the topic list before I put my search in. Technically, yours is the EB-2D with the extra mini-humbie at the bridge.

Like others have said, this was my dream bass back in the day and I'd have yours in a flash if I had £3k to spare.

GLWTS

• Like 3

• WishIcouldplay changed the title to Gibson EB2 1966 Cherry red with original case. Short Scale.
  • 1 month later...

I had a sunburst 66 EB2D a while back, they really do have a sound of their own. Looking at the photos I think Scrumymike is incorrect, I can’t see a 2nd pickup and there are no controls for it. Mine had independent volume and tone for each pickup, so I think this is correctly an EB2 and the single pickup model seems to be more collectible.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Glad you cleared that up. They are an iconic piece of bass history, the sound of the British Invasion (leaving aside Macca’s Hofner). Sadly I’m not playing enough these days to justify a £3k investment, but I do hope you find a good home for it soon.

Edited by Grahambythesea
Correction

On 02/02/2023 at 20:15, Grahambythesea said:

I had a sunburst 66 EB2D a while back, they really do have a sound of their own. Looking at the photos I think Scrumymike is incorrect, I can’t see a 2nd pickup and there are no controls for it. Mine had independent volume and tone for each pickup, so I think this is correctly an EB2 and the single pickup model seems to be more collectible.

I stand corrected - and not for the first time 🤣.

I really do hope this wonderful bass finds a good, new home. Not mine unfortunately ☹️

• 3 weeks later...
  • WishIcouldplay changed the title to Price drop now £2800 Gibson EB2 1966 Cherry red with original case. Short Scale. Offers considered.
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • WishIcouldplay changed the title to Gibson EB2 1966 Cherry red with original case. Short Scale.
  • 1 month later...
On 14/11/2023 at 14:43, WishIcouldplay said:

I have noticed recently that the price of these basses have gone up quite a lot hence I have reverted to my original asking price of £3000. Bearing in mind the condition of this Bass in a "Custom' colour with original case I think this is a reasonable price for a vintage instrument.

I don’t think Cherry was a custom colour for these - I have a ‘69 Cherry EB-2DC -  though I certainly wouldn’t disagree with the rest of your post.   As I recall (but stand to be corrected....) Sunburst, Cherry, and Walnut were standard colour finishes, as briefly was metallic burgundy introduced as a cover-up finish when they had moisture checking problems with the standard ones,, with natural and black as special custom options.

Beautiful bass in cracking condition though, and with the very desirable “Lifton” case 👍

• Like 1

I can't believe it's not sold. A beautiful vintage bass with case...what's not to like. I have 6 basses that l gig and alternate on a regular basis, but if l could warrant spending on another bass l would definitely buy this and just hang it on the wall and admire it like an expensive painting while sipping on a malt whisky....apologies in advance for the ramble l'll  get my coat....

Glwts bud.

• Like 3