Why become a member? ×

Best Cost Effective Gig Bag

Chienmortbb

What's the gig bag for? Something light (and smaller than a hard case) to hold the basses while they are in your car and being carried to and from the venue, or are you planning to walk any distance (more than 10 minutes) wearing it?

As far as protection goes the Mono bag is great, but yet again on Friday I was reminded why I don't use it to carry the bass any distance. On me the the bass hangs so low that the bottom of the bag is just above the backs of my knees and it slaps against my legs with every stride. The straps are so long that it is impossible to do them up tightly enough to make the bag secure like a rucksack would be. The 30 minute walk was a massively unpleasant experience which ensured that if I have to do it again, I'll be patient and wait for the bus.

AFAICS in order to be comfortable the straps need to be arranged as they would on a decent backpack. That means not close together at the top and ending much higher up than the bottom of the bag. I don't see any gig bags like this on the market at the moment. Probably because this arrangement would make to top of the bag too high and it would be hitting door frames no matter how small the wearer was. However, I would be grateful if someone proved me wrong.

i never use the straps as i am 6ft 2in and always forget when walking through doors. I only really need the bags to get from car to venue. I have a Hiscox hard case. I cut the straps from the Tribal Planet gig bag (they don't seem to be around now), It would be fine but the zip has gone. 

I was looking at the TGI   https://www.absolutemusic.co.uk/tgi-extreme-series-electric-bass-guitar-gigbag.html at least I can go and have a look at it first as Absolute are only about five miles from me. As the Fender ones are also in  stock I will check them too.

1 hour ago, Chienmortbb said:

i never use the straps as i am 6ft 2in and always forget when walking through doors. I only really need the bags to get from car to venue. I have a Hiscox hard case. I cut the straps from the Tribal Planet gig bag (they don't seem to be around now), It would be fine but the zip has gone. 

In that case, IMO anything with a reasonable amount of padding and a carry handle on the side will probably do. I'd be looking at something in the middle price bracket from any of the standard gig bag manufacturers like Ritter.

5 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

I was looking at the TGI   https://www.absolutemusic.co.uk/tgi-extreme-series-electric-bass-guitar-gigbag.html at least I can go and have a look at it first as Absolute are only about five miles from me. As the Fender ones are also in  stock I will check them too.

THOUSANDTH POST ALERT!!

At the risk of muddying the waters, if it's not going to have a very hard life, then I can recommend the Gear 4 Music dual bass guitar gig bag:

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Dual-Bass-Guitar-Gig-Bag-by-Gear4music/1II6

I've had one for about six years and used it in the same way that you intend to. The only damage is a slight tear on the inside where a machine head has rubbed away at the lining and a couple of stitches have come undone on the pocket. Considering it's done about 200 trips, I think that's pretty good for something that cost me about £60.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

After buying - and returning - quite a few recently, I settled on this GEWA premium bag, which was only 40 quid:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/gewa_bass_guitar_gigbag_premium_20.htm

Very well made, lots of padding, loads of room for cables and that, and not too bulky. Recommended.

227783.jpg

I was tempted but I visitrd Absolute Music this morning and the had the TGI at £49. I also looked at one of my gig bags and it is only the tag of the zip that is damaged so I will put some string through it and live with it for the time being,

5BFF4169-6E36-4A56-8A4E-A6B1B590E99F.thumb.jpeg.d6c21a6d49ec97294557653cf3ac7031.jpeg73339BA3-69B8-4FC4-9EAE-F0C7B5551470.thumb.jpeg.d68d389cd07a8cd229489f3cbcd6294d.jpeg

Edited by Chienmortbb
  • Like 1

On 17/07/2022 at 09:47, BigRedX said:

What's the gig bag for? Something light (and smaller than a hard case) to hold the basses while they are in your car and being carried to and from the venue, or are you planning to walk any distance (more than 10 minutes) wearing it?

As far as protection goes the Mono bag is great, but yet again on Friday I was reminded why I don't use it to carry the bass any distance. On me the the bass hangs so low that the bottom of the bag is just above the backs of my knees and it slaps against my legs with every stride. The straps are so long that it is impossible to do them up tightly enough to make the bag secure like a rucksack would be. The 30 minute walk was a massively unpleasant experience which ensured that if I have to do it again, I'll be patient and wait for the bus.

AFAICS in order to be comfortable the straps need to be arranged as they would on a decent backpack. That means not close together at the top and ending much higher up than the bottom of the bag. I don't see any gig bags like this on the market at the moment. Probably because this arrangement would make to top of the bag too high and it would be hitting door frames no matter how small the wearer was. However, I would be grateful if someone proved me wrong.

The straps on my Hiscox cello case can be worn as a rucksack, and you can get a purpose built harness to fit as well, but.... you have to watch going through doors as the head is well above the top of my head. You might be abe to install the same harness onto a hard case?

Edited by zbd1960

10 hours ago, JohnDaBass said:

Looks a great solution.  What strap are you using looks really comfortable. 

It is, its a Leathergraft Softy 4" wide. However it is longer than the standard length as at one time they had an extra long option on their site. I ordered one and it was too short. They reealised that they had put the wrong length online. They do an XL 2.5" but they had to go a hand made version for me. I have asked if they could make another but they have not got back to me yet.

https://leathergraft.co.uk/shop/ols/products/the-softy-guitar/v/2.5 XL Soft Blk

• Thanks 1