Why become a member? ×

Best combo for jazz for small gigs

Roxy

Hope you’re all healthy and happy. I’m just after views please on best combo for jazz, with versatility for  function work as well. Nothing too big, or heavy in weight, or with massive power - sufficient for small venues. 
I don’t mind top end prices, equally happy with low price if known to be suitable. Cheers! 

With my Quartet I often use my TCE 250-208, (26lbs).  I can combine a BF One10 using the spk ext if required. 

Tuner & compression & amp all in one. 

I've also used a Roland Basscube 30, quite cheap 2nd hand. 

Edited by grandad
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I’d look at the Markbass CMD121P, great little amp, much more powerful than it looks but in a very small portable package.

+1 to this suggestion. I have seen a ton of jazz bassists use MarkBass gear (eg, back line at the Jazz Cafe) and for trio/quartets this combo is very popular. Good with DB (use a preamp in front for impedance matching and feedback control) and for electric bass.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, grandad said:

With my Quartet I often use my TCE 250-208, (26lbs).  I can combine a BF One10 using the spk ext if required. 

Tuner & compression & amp all in one. 

I've also used a Roland Basscube 30, quite cheap 2nd hand. 

Great little combos, don’t be put off by the 8” speakers, these things shift so serious air. I’ve used mine with five string basses, acoustic basses and a five string KK EUB.

• Thanks 1

Acoustic Image gear seems to be very popular amongst the 'nice' set.

I have an aging Tecamp Puma which works well with upright and bass guitar, so I think something more recent from Eich would be worth a look. No issues with support here, I've had one or two problems which were swiftly resolved by Thomas Eich himself.

7 hours ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

I guess I've been lucky in never having an issue with the multitude of Mark Bass amps I've had 🤞

Same here. I'd personally be more annoyed if the support was excellent but I knew that because I had to keep using it!

Back on topic, I can't fault the CMD121P for small venues and as such it gets a +1 from me. I don't do jazz so I'm not completely sure what the requirements are, but I'd bet that if I can play a power metal gig with mine, you'd be fine for volume.

Edited by Ed_S
PBKAC
  • Like 1

I'm not a jazz player myself, but I feel like a GK MBIIIS is a good solution.

Used a lot in studio and live by both double bass (ie Ron Carter) and electric bass players (even Les Claypool used it, when recording the Brown Album by the Primus).

I own one, only used in studio so far, and is brilliant.

Nice 4 band EQ, plus Contour and Hi freq boost. Good frequency range and well defined sound.

Second hand it can be found for anything in between 350-500£.

It doesn't feel extremely heavy to me, but I can't remember the exact weight.

Easy to find that out online though.

100W that can be expanded to 150W linking a second cab (there is an official GK that shouldn't be too hard to find second hand too).

Edited by mario_buoninfante

19 hours ago, pete.young said:

Acoustic Image gear seems to be very popular amongst the 'nice' set.

I have an aging Tecamp Puma which works well with upright and bass guitar, so I think something more recent from Eich would be worth a look. No issues with support here, I've had one or two problems which were swiftly resolved by Thomas Eich himself.

Oops. Please make that AER, not sure what I was thinking there. Acoustic Image indeed.

• Thanks 1