Why become a member? ×

Wilkinson humbucker P pickup?

Paolo85

Hi all, I have bought this Squier P with a Wilkinson pickup which I like a lot and I would like to put on another bass. The pickup has been there for at least over 5 years.

The logo does not look like that on the WPB and MWPB pickups on sale now at various shops for £20ish.

It looks instead like this pickup out of stock at Andertons described as "Wilkinson P bass humbucker set" and for double the price

https://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-dept/bass-guitar-strings-accessories/bass-guitar-pickups-electronics/Wilkinson-Alnico-V-Bass-Pickup-Pair

I cannot find those pickups in stock at mainstream shops although some sellers have it on Reverb/eBay, also for £40-50

Do you happen to know what are/were they? Are they actual stacked humbuckers?

Thanks!

20220715_210145.jpg

I don't think each half are Stacked...

I think they are conventionaly wound with the Humbucking Effect from each half being wound in an opposite direction...

I think the price difference is in the more expensive Alnico v's the cheaper Ceramic Magnets.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.northwestguitars.co.uk/amp/wilkinson-pickup-shop/

Some Jazz pickups are wound 'stacked' to reduce the hum associated with a single coil

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Thanks 1

A typical run of the mill Precision bass pickup is by design "humbucking".

Could well be wrong ( sure somebody will chip in if so) but I don't think there would be any advantage gained by stacking the coils.

If the pickup is already humbucking what would be the point?

This explains the Pbass pickup design

http://whichbass.co.uk/bass-guitar-feature-series/bass-pickups-explained

Sorry can't help with identifying that particular pickup.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

That's very helpful many thanks! It opens a massive dilemma for me :D This is a Squier Made in China 2008, with I believe alder body, and it sounds much better than my Squier Affinity PJ of recent construction with stock pickups and with poplar body.

I was planning to get the same P pickup on both and see how they compare. But given that the Wilkinson Alnico has a much better reputation and only costs 4 pounds more.. I may just have to go for that. Decisions.. :D

I think you answered your own question... Alnico it is then...

£22.90 free Delivery from Vanson Guitars... Amazon cheaper than the bay...

Wilkinson WPB Premium Range AlNiCo V Bass Pickups for 'PB' type Guitars, Precision Bass https://amzn.eu/d/iZ12HZL

I've got a PJ set of Entwistle Ceramic Pickups on their way...

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

What would the point being of making each half of a P pickup, that by design, being 2 coils in series connection, already cancel out noise, having an additional stacked coil each, they won't cancel more noise for that reason?

Each half having two side by side coils in series, like a true humbucker pickup would, now I could see the idea of that, like for instance the DiMarzio dual blade Split P, but I very much doubt this is the case either, with only one row per half of pole pieces on those pickups of yours.

Bar magnets under the pickup also usually means Ceramic magnets, with steel pole pieces above to distribute the magnetic field, whereas Alnico magnets used in pickups will usually be the pole pieces themself.

So almost certain yours are Ceramic magnet based pickups.

Also magnets always got 2 magnetic poles, a North Pole and a South Pole, regardless of type, which is something entirely different than pickup pole pieces.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Thanks 1