Why become a member? ×

Rockschool 1983

JJTee

I remember watching that series when I was starting out. As I recall, it was great for the mechanics of being in a band. And all those names sharing that practical knowledge and experience! I can't help feeling that a similar series these days would be more like an IT course. 

You can tell Neil Murray is posh because he's from Scotland but he doesn't have a Scottish accent.

Rockschool was a seminal experience for a whole generation of young musicians. I thought it was great at the time. Looking at it again now, I am still of the same opinion. 

You've got to remember, it was a era before the internet, YouTube ect and accurate information was a lot harder to come by.  Most folks still didn't have video recorders. You had to watch it and remember it! Kudos to the BBC for such an innovative idea and having the balls to see it through.

Edited by Misdee
  • Like 6

17 hours ago, Crusoe said:

I used to have a bass tutorial video on VHS. It was introduced by Jools Holland and I'm pretty sure it was Henry Thomas giving the instruction.

It was Henry 'King Thumb' Thomas.. 

He used to live down the road from me in the early '90s and I had a few lessons with him, which were fantastic! 

He's a very decent bloke and a superb musician.. Started off as a cellist apparently. 

• Like 1

On 19/07/2022 at 14:11, Misdee said:

You can tell Neil Murray is posh because he's from Scotland but he doesn't have a Scottish accent.

Rockschool was a seminal experience for a whole generation of young musicians. I thought it was great at the time. Looking at it again now, I am still of the same opinion. 

You've got to remember, it was a era before the internet, YouTube ect and accurate information was a lot harder to come by.  Most folks still didn't have video recorders. You had to watch it and remember it! Kudos to the BBC for such an innovative idea and having the balls to see it through.

totally agree with you

Geoff seems like a great drummer too

• Like 1

On 16/07/2022 at 08:53, oldslapper said:

I loved these as a youngster.
Bought a Thunder 3a because our ‘Enry had one. 

Rockschool did a roadshow at one point and after seeing 'Enry at Liverpool's Royal Court, I also later treated myself to a black Thunder 3. 

Still have it, and still play it regularly since replacing the innards with Bartolini pickups and 3-band eq a few years ago to give it more modern functionality.

On 17/07/2022 at 18:55, BlueMoon said:

I seem remember a short-haired female guitarist who did some instruction. She was low key, but I thought she got the message across well. Is that the same programme, or have I had a brain-fart?

On 17/07/2022 at 19:14, PaulThePlug said:

Deirdre Cartwright... Girlschool / Tour de Force...

And then continuing treading the boards playing jazz…   

http://www.deirdrecartwright.com

• Like 1