Why become a member? ×

Valve Amps

bassace

There’s a bit of discussion going on under Amps and Cabs concerning valve amps. Mainly among bass guitarists, but I wondered whether there’s any experience/enthusiasm coming from the DB community. I first started out with valves and remember the disappointment in sound quality when I moved over to the convenience and compactness of class D.

There are a few tasty valve jobs starting to appear and I’d be interested to know if there’s anyone with valve/db experience.

In all honesty, Roger, it hasn't occurred to me to try. The feature set on amps by EA and Acoustic Image is so comprehensive, and the units so practical, that I can't see any way an improvement in tone by reverting to old-school valve amps would ever justify the aggravation that comes with them.

• Like 1

Yes, I have been down this path. I have tried quite a few valve heads, also class D with valve preamp sections. I find that valves are too warm for me. They are fabulous for bass guitar, but I like the clean tone of class D for double bass. If I was still playing rockabilly I would use valves, but these days it's mostly jazz so I want it as clean as possible.

• Like 2

I like valve amps for bass guitar, and have had a few different ones. I've never gigged with them on double bass, but I've used them at rehearsals a few times where it was just what I had with me. If you're staying within the headroom of the amp, it can sound very good. The character of it varies depending on amp and pickup choice, but in general they're a little more obviously amp-y sounding than most solid state amps, whether in a warm, rounded way or more mid-forward.

I'm thinking I might bring my Ampeg PF-50T for a little gig I'm doing next month, a trio with drums and low volume electric guitar, so I'll report back if I do.

Thanks for the replies, guys. On balance I won’t bother to splash out on valves without someone’s positive experience. I have good memories of the warmth of the sound that I got from a pair of KT88s but that was over fifty years ago with rubbishy strings and a vastly inferior double bass.

BTW, I don’t consider there is necessarily a gold standard in the amp/cab combination. It very much depends on the signal from the strings and bass. The Clarus is OK but my amp of choice over the past four years has been a Puma500 coupled to a Genzler 2-10 array, or a Wizzy10 if the stage is carpeted.  But it’s all personal choice.

I’ve been tempted by valves but put of by weight. However having just done a jazz gig using my Ibanez EUB, through a MarkBass combo and the eq Bass rolled back I’m sticking with that. Fellow band members love my ‘db’ sound. What’s not to like. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've had valve heads and don't like them for double bass. I don't even like valve preamps. I find they are not clean enough for my taste. Being in the music industry I have been able to own or try many different brands of amp, and my go to is the Genzler Magellan. I have a back up Acoustic Image too, but the Genzler has more "heft". Of the valve amps I had, the Ampeg PF50T was the best for double bass.