Why become a member? ×

Suggest non-MusicMan basses with growly MM-like alter-ego's?

Jolltax

So many nice basses to be had in that budget range! 

Nothing growls like a Warwick but their shapes are probably too far away from the Fender derivative for you (assuming that's what you mean by traditional) - they do do a streamer made to look a little more trad though. 

I'd be getting yourself down to every bass shop within a few hours of you & playing everything they've got - better to take your time than rush. 

Also consider a ramp/thumb rest if that's what you want. Though depending on what kind of music you play, changing to floating thumb style may also be of use. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

After a lot more (too much) thinking and searching  :

Musicman Sabre - seems to me that this is the fantasy / unicorn bass I should find , shame they are no longer made, virtually unobtainable and consequently very expensive. I just don’t get why they stopped making them, they seem so cool.

G&L L2000 - guitarguitar have one on order in Birmingham, but colour not my thing, which I will go and have a look at when it comes in, long order times though if I want one

Sandberg TM2 / Basic / Ken Taylor - am still phoning around to find a stockist near me, Sandberg seem like they have some very nice options if I can find some to try

Custom build - is it a crazy idea to have something made? A custom made bass is comparable cost, I am just worried about resale value e.g. I really like the look of Manton’s Paradigm bass

I’m going to have a twang on some in shops, narrow it down, then post a wanted ad as I much prefer second hand

Cool beans!

J

• Like 1

Line 6 Variax bass (second-hand). Models vintage Jazz, modern Jazz, Precision, Stingray, Flea bass, Rickenbacker, Danelectro, Hofner violin bass, Gibson Thunderbird & EB-2D, MTD 535, Warwick Thumb, Alembic, Steinberger, Hagstrom 8-string, Hamer 12-string, a couple of acoustics and a couple of synths.

18 hours ago, tauzero said:

Line 6 Variax bass (second-hand). Models vintage Jazz, modern Jazz, Precision, Stingray, Flea bass, Rickenbacker, Danelectro, Hofner violin bass, Gibson Thunderbird & EB-2D, MTD 535, Warwick Thumb, Alembic, Steinberger, Hagstrom 8-string, Hamer 12-string, a couple of acoustics and a couple of synths.

I've had 2, and would recommend that anyone looking for a bass that sounds like any of the models above buys something else.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Some great suggestions.

A few years ago I was looking for a Stingray type bass for a funk project; wanted to find something with slightly better playing ergonomics having previously owned a 1980 MM Sabre (plus ‘Rays have gone darn expensive recently.......😕)

Settled on a 1998 Warwick FNA, bought on BC of course - does the midrange heavy growly/punchy Stingray tone spot on; hardly surprising given the circuit and pickup are Seymour Duncan replacements for MM Stingray, and the ash body.  With rather dead roundwounds on it absolutely nails the Bernard Edwards tone.

Later on bought a Jazzman Streamer LX for the added versatility of the neck pickup - a really lovely bass in its own right, but on bridge pickup solo much less like a ‘Ray than the FNA, that single pickup “sweet spot” seems crucial.

648A28BB-602F-4222-A91D-4FCFAD025072.jpeg

FFAFC6A0-07D6-4DEE-BF1F-5F68361D00EB.jpeg

• Like 3

@Jolltax- from your list can heartily recommend a Sandberg P/MM. Used to own one - a really high end fella that I got in trade for a sweet Jazz that I should have kept. Very heavy (like, 13+ pounds) but an AMAZINGLY well built thing. Big, though.

Mine was Häusell pups with a 3 band Glock preamp. The sound was unbelievable. Just: every sound you could ever want and so strong on every frequency. The build quality was off the chart. Ebony board, fantastic hardware. Top loading bridges are great.

I doubt you’d be disappointed by one! I had to sell mine because of the weight but I keep hanging my nose over their Superlight 5s. If my current Fender Dimensions get too heavy as I get older, it’ll be a Superlight that replaces them.

Dimension’s an excellent choice (I’m hopelessly biased) but yeah won’t ever sound like a Ray. Two humbucking soap bars for me every time.105C6573-6F95-416D-92F6-9DB4C98DEA0C.thumb.jpeg.4c1fd1bf10b3a2fa618df69b2f89ac98.jpeg

Edited by moley6knipe
  • Like 2

If you don’t mind the Marmite looks a Korean/Jap Ibby BTB is also a great choice. Mine’s old… USA Barts and pre. Thru neck. Superb necks, but very much NOT in fender style dimensions! More recent ones have used Nordstrand, Aguilar etc pups and their own preamp. Which is a bit meh as a preamp, but nothing a retrofit wouldn’t cure. 

Again build quality is superb. Effortlessly playable. The EQ is stupid good on mine. As before it’s now too heavy to gig but the sounds they can produce are great. Mine does a pretty convincing MM if you pluck nearer the bridge but really, it’s a 60/40 blend of neck/bridge that does it on this one.

D2F4AFBA-2711-444B-B1EA-9A3EA04D1176.jpeg

• Like 1

On 17/08/2022 at 22:45, moley6knipe said:

@Jolltax- from your list can heartily recommend a Sandberg P/MM. Used to own one - a really high end fella that I got in trade for a sweet Jazz that I should have kept. Very heavy (like, 13+ pounds) but an AMAZINGLY well built thing. Big, though.

Mine was Häusell pups with a 3 band Glock preamp. The sound was unbelievable. Just: every sound you could ever want and so strong on every frequency. The build quality was off the chart. Ebony board, fantastic hardware. Top loading bridges are great.

I doubt you’d be disappointed by one! I had to sell mine because of the weight but I keep hanging my nose over their Superlight 5s. If my current Fender Dimensions get too heavy as I get older, it’ll be a Superlight that replaces them.

Dimension’s an excellent choice (I’m hopelessly biased) but yeah won’t ever sound like a Ray. Two humbucking soap bars for me every time.105C6573-6F95-416D-92F6-9DB4C98DEA0C.thumb.jpeg.4c1fd1bf10b3a2fa618df69b2f89ac98.jpeg

Sadly I think I’ve owned both of these in the past! I’d love one with a maple board again…

On 20/08/2022 at 10:37, DrDrill said:

This. John East BTB-01 and a 2nd hand basslines pup from fleabay after the original preamp died and I decided the original Bartolini was a bit too polite for my liking. 😁

20220820_102851.jpg

Isn't that like a 1991 or 1990 limited edition? Many of them about?! :D