Why become a member? ×

Suggest non-MusicMan basses with growly MM-like alter-ego's?

Jolltax

Since starting to play 16 months ago I am (slowly) improving as a player and am considering upgrading to a new bass in the medium term, wife permitting. I decided to limit myself to a total of 3 basses so I will probably offload my H-B 75 JB copy, which is great for practice but very heavy (and currently living in North Africa for me to use when at work there), leaving me with a Sire MM M2 and my Ibanez Roadstar II and a gap on the wall .... :)

Basses.jpeg.90fb719d18d6454ec752579296a046ea.jpeg

In a new purchase I am hoping to find something with a conventional shape but also schizophrenic i.e. has a  growling Musicman-like alter-ego. I love the sound of MM and have considered buying a Musicman (seems obvious) but I haven't warmed to the looks and ideally I would like an instrument with an additional pickup located where I can play whilst resting my thumb in a similar place to my Ibanez.

My teacher suggested I consider a Sandberg with dual pickups, I have looked at a VM4 online which has a PB-like pickup, and also humbucker like a MM and seems to be a very nice instrument with a reputation for being very well made.  In this video it seems to be able to be quite flexible tonally.

Can anyone suggest other alternative basses (absolute max £2k or less) that are light(ish), can do growly well, and are conventionally shaped (other than Musicmans obviously) that I should consider?

TYVM

J

No The Dimension has many good sounds but not a StingRay. A Warwick $$ has a humbucker in the right place but doesn’t sound much like one to me. A G&L L2000 does have a similar tone. I’ve not played any basses that sound just like a StingRay TBH - except a StingRay.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The only bass that can get 9/10ths of the way to Stingray sound, is a G&L. L2000 and Kilotons. Not surprising really, given the shared DNA.

If it's a generalised aggressive sound you want, Warwick Thumb is your boi.

• Thanks 1

Anything with an MM pickup in or around the classic Stingray placement should get you there. However, be careful of MM pickups located too far towards the bridge, as I’ve often found them to be more like a Jazz pickup on steroids than a Stingray.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, miles'tone said:

https://reverb.com/uk/item/57343049-fender-american-deluxe-precision-bass

These basses are winner winner chicken dinner all day long.

Interesting. I’ve had two of them and they were all right but I never got anything remotely like a StingRay sound out of them because the bridge pickup is a twin jazz and too close to the bridge (and they weren’t much cop at a P bass sound, either).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the comments, being somewhat of a newb I didn't know about G&L basses, or rather that Leo Fender was the designer, so I started watching a few videos online, so I know a bit more about their evolution. 

As it happens I also didn't know that MusicMan did a dual pickup line of basses (HH).

Really appreciate the comments!

J

• Like 1

Yet another vote for the G&Ls, plus a recommendation for the Ibanez ATK. The 300 series were great basses that nailed the MM tone. The 400/405 were my favourites though, with the extra Jazz pickup and downsized body. One of the best recorded tones I ever had was on an ATK405. They do show up for sale occasionally, but they're kinda rare. 

You could also get a Sterling or SUB and swap out the pickups and electronics for something that'll make them sound more like a proper Stingray. LowEndLobster on Youtube has a bunch of videos where he tries out replacement MM pickups and electronics in a Sterling SUB, so it might be worth giving those a watch. Here's one: 

• Thanks 1

Ibanez EDC710. Basically ATK electrics in an Ergodyne body. Coil switching works nicely;

2 (hum-cancelled) single coil modes, one with a moderately "vintage" tone,  and the full-fat parallel mode make it more versatile,  too.

Warwick Fortress Masterman; crazy 2x2 EQ (2 bands per coil) make them very tonally flexible. Maybe too much so.

Warwick Streamer Pro M. 

All of the above will be second hand.  

• Thanks 1