Why become a member? ×

My second build (with pics of course!)

CookPassBabtridge

Hi All,

Wanted to share my second bass build with you fine folk (first build here).

Overall I am pretty pleased with it. It sounds great if I may say so - reminds me of a punchier P-Bass. I suspect that's down to the pickups more than my craftsmanship or choice of woods, so I'd happily use those EMGs again (if I can ever get my hands on some).

I did make a few mistakes and won’t highlight them all here for fear of being too self-critical, but the main things I’d change design-wise are the headstock as the break angles for the strings aren’t great (would also match the headstock topwood a bit better to the body), and the neck profile ended up a little thin for my liking. But this is all a learning process.

The next build that I've just started will go back to basics - a variation of a P/J bass, so I can focus on getting the finish perfect and not worry about cutting funky wood shapes, exotic top woods etc. Will also post that here when it’s ready!

Main specs as follows:

32 inch scale

Chambered mahogany body

Walnut and flame maple top

Walnut neck

Rosewood fretboard

EMG CSX pickups

EMG BQS preamp

ABM bridge system

IMG_8668.JPG

IMG_8669.JPG

IMG_8670.JPG

IMG_8671.JPG

• Like 13

Beautiful piece of work! I had the privilege of seeing this whilst "under construction" when I visited Tom to buy his Warwick Thumb. The body was (is) graceful and carved with real attention to detail and form. Would love to try this out!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, anzoid said:

Beautiful piece of work! I had the privilege of seeing this whilst "under construction" when I visited Tom to buy his Warwick Thumb. The body was (is) graceful and carved with real attention to detail and form. Would love to try this out!!

You are most kind! Photos are not my forte so I feel that these pics don't quite do it justice. In any case feel free to let me know when you're next in my neck of the woods, you'd be most welcome to drop by for a chat and to give it a try!

57 minutes ago, itu said:

Can I see echoes of Affirma here?

Nice bass. I very much love that it is original and not that billionth copy of [alphabet].

Thanks very much! A little bit I guess, yeah. The main influence was Carl Thompson but I liked the idea of both the top and bottom horns having a similar curve. 

Edited by CookPassBabtridge
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, CookPassBabtridge said:

Thanks very much! A little bit I guess, yeah. The main influence was Carl Thompson but I liked the idea of both the top and bottom horns having a similar curve. 

I like the way you've echoed the top and bottom horns in the headstock too.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CookPassBabtridge said:

Cheers, yes I think I’d use that design again but would perhaps make it thinner or reposition the tuners to sort out that break angle issue. 

I was refraining from mentioning that 😁

• Haha 1