Why become a member? ×

100W Stoneham valve amp - small footprint, lighter weight

Merton

Would you be interested in a small-run, small footprint 100W valve amp from Stoneham?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in a small-run, small footprint 100W valve amp from Stoneham?

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, la bam said:

I'd love simple 5 slider. Lo, lo mid, mid, hi mid, hi.

Theres so many amps Ive not bought because of lack of eq flexibility.

… and yet I find that many bands to be annoying!

I’m fond of the James tone circuit in my B15 clone but it is quite ‘lossy’.

Worth mentioning maybe that the James/Baxandall circuit is quite different to the Fender tone stack and similar to a regular 2 or 3-band cut/boost eq in operation.

Edited by ikay

55 minutes ago, JapanAxe said:

I imagine sliders would add significantly to the cost in terms of both components and machining.

I think sliders are good for saving space on control busy front panels. Otherwise, if you're only looking at three, four or perhaps five EQ knobs on a large (I've never seen a micro 100 watt valve head) front panel traditional pots with knobs are more attractive. 

Edited by Sparky Mark

A good DI is a must to me. The ability to connect two 8 ohm cabs (without daisy chaining) via Speakons would be great. (I know you can get 1 to 2 adaptors but it’s another thing to lose!) There’s probably some physics reason that means most valve amps have only one output each for 4 and 8 ohms. 

The ability to use the DI without a speaker load would be useful, but not a deal breaker.

PS: I’d look to come down from Edinburgh for a NE bass bash!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Nickthebass said:

A good DI is a must to me. The ability to connect two 8 ohm cabs (without daisy chaining) via Speakons would be great. (I know you can get 1 to 2 adaptors but it’s another thing to lose!) There’s probably some physics reason that means most valve amps have only one output each for 4 and 8 ohms. 

The ability to use the DI without a speaker load would be useful, but not a deal breaker.

Yeah DI is a must I agree. The NE Bass Bash is a great day, about 60 P basses and a Ray last time 😂 

• Haha 1

There seems to be two kinds of user for valve amps, valve tone with clean headroom, or broken tube sound. A clean switch like the Orange Terror Bass would be useful to keep both sides happy? Not sure how this works in the Orange, I assume it removes a gain stage? I know the terror bass can do serious gain but something to remove any preamp breakup or make it break up sooner could be useful?

46 minutes ago, Nickthebass said:

Not been to a Bass Bash for quite a few years now. Used to go to the Moffat Bass Bash organised by Alan at ACG and Chris from Overwater but not sure if that is still going.

A NE bash wouldn't be too far away from me depending on what you class as NE of course.

Dave

1 hour ago, Nickthebass said:

There’s probably some physics reason that means most valve amps have only one output each for 4 and 8 ohms. 

Makes a doofus think again before hooking up an illegal load. One for 4 + one for  8 = much less likelihood the disaster you would get hooking up one of each.

12 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

Makes a doofus think again before hooking up an illegal load. One for 4 + one for  8 = much less likelihood the disaster you would get hooking up one of each.

Yep, this ☝🏻

Also consider two 8 ohm cabs actually present a 4 ohm load (when conventionally wired in parallel) so you need to use the 4 ohm tap from the output transformer, not two 8 ohm taps… 

So far I'm going with a 3 band EQ, but will be capable of boost or cut and will be flat with dials at 12 o'clock.  It should have the option of some pre-amp drive so a gain switch could offer that.  Yes sliders add a lot of complexity to a small production run, plus pots are so much easier to service or replace long term.

Speaker outputs - jack and speakon, 8 ohm and 4 ohm outputs.  I don't like impedance switches due to the high currents, it's a weak link.    Transformer driven D.I output.

Do you guys bother with send/return jacks?  Or a pre-amp output

• Like 4

Just now, Downunderwonder said:

S/R is very handy for inserting a highpass filter.

Preamp output isn't something I have used except for experimenting.

same here,

would a footswitch for drive be possible?  the 3 band cut/bost eq is perfect for me, DI is a very useful feature too.

57 minutes ago, Stoneham said:

So far I'm going with a 3 band EQ, but will be capable of boost or cut and will be flat with dials at 12 o'clock.  It should have the option of some pre-amp drive so a gain switch could offer that.  Yes sliders add a lot of complexity to a small production run, plus pots are so much easier to service or replace long term.

Speaker outputs - jack and speakon, 8 ohm and 4 ohm outputs.  I don't like impedance switches due to the high currents, it's a weak link.    Transformer driven D.I output.

Thanks Martin! Bang on for me 😎

Personally I don’t use s/r or pre-amp outs but I may be in the minority 🙂

2 hours ago, Merton said:

Yep, this ☝🏻

Also consider two 8 ohm cabs actually present a 4 ohm load (when conventionally wired in parallel) so you need to use the 4 ohm tap from the output transformer, not two 8 ohm taps… 

This was exactly my point. A common modular rig includes two 8 ohm cabs but with the set up on most (all?) valve power stages that I’ve seen you can’t run both cabs off a single 4 ohm output without a splitter. 

Personally it would limit the gig-ability of an amp if I was limited to using only one cab. It sounds like there is a big quality / relatability compromise in building that flexibility that I wasn’t aware of - hence the question. 

2 minutes ago, Nickthebass said:

This was exactly my point. A common modular rig includes two 8 ohm cabs but with the set up on most (all?) valve power stages that I’ve seen you can’t run both cabs off a single 4 ohm output without a splitter. 

Personally it would limit the gig-ability of an amp if I was limited to using only one cab. It sounds like there is a big quality / relatability compromise in building that flexibility that I wasn’t aware of - hence the question. 

You just daisy chain 1 cab off another.  Very few cabs have no parallel option.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stoneham said:

For me - an effects loops on head are a waste of space. I’d rather be able to hook up 2 8 ohm cabs to the 4 ohm tap if it were possible. 

Edited by Nickthebass