Why become a member? ×

100W Stoneham valve amp - small footprint, lighter weight

Merton

Would you be interested in a small-run, small footprint 100W valve amp from Stoneham?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in a small-run, small footprint 100W valve amp from Stoneham?

• Yes
    • No

I'd like to throw into the mix the idea of having some sort of voicing control to adjust the character of the sound from modern to vintage and points in between. This would be useful for someone like me who needs to cover a range of styles and could possibly widen the amp's appeal. 

Here are a couple of examples:

1. The Pure Tone Offset amp which has both Normal and Bright gain controls and allows you to mix the two together. See first demo below at 5m 25s.

2. The Ashdown Little Stubby which has a 'Feedback' control which sweeps from modern to vintage by adding low end saturation. See second demo below at 5m 25s.

I'm honestly not wanting to overcomplicate things or detract from the idea of a great amp with it's own core tone. Just a little tweakability in the way of modern/vintage voicing.

• Like 1

I just want a simple all valve amp with minimal controls. It has to be loud enough to compete against guitar amps in rock bands and has to maintain a clean tone to do it. If i want to add a bit of grunt then that's my choice thru the Gain.

Dave

I've always found tone stacks frustrating and confusing, I personally feel that they are irrelevant these days thanks to more modern active eqs.

With a tone stack, as long as you're happy with your tone form the bass and amp, it's doesn't matter, but if you need to do a bit more tone sculpting, I'd bet most folks end up using a preamp pedal. Even if you have a PHD in tone stacks, you're still working with extremely limited tools.

Edited by eude
  • Thanks 1