Why become a member? ×

100W Stoneham valve amp - small footprint, lighter weight

Merton

Would you be interested in a small-run, small footprint 100W valve amp from Stoneham?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in a small-run, small footprint 100W valve amp from Stoneham?

• Yes
    • No

17 hours ago, Pea Turgh said:

Barefaced Two10 is 38cm wide, too.  Watching with interest…

Muffin top is such a drag. Tube amps that can't fit on a upended 210 without muffining should come with a little fold down trestle table that can hold two 210's and a splash guard so the amp can sit under, safe from spillages.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

I hope your big stages have a sound crew that accommodates a mic for the true tube glory to be sent forth.

Wouldnt matter really would it. The whole point would be to see how it copes on a larger stage. Not how it sounds out front.

27 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

CUrious how loud it gets. Does it cope ok when up against loud rock guitarists. ?

Dave

It gets very, very gnarly. Sounds ok in the mix but loses the bottom end a bit, and sounds pretty angry on its own… hence wanting a 100W option!

• Thanks 1

On 14/07/2022 at 15:30, Merton said:

Update:

5. Nothing will really happen until August or September but when he can he will prototype something and get some local bassists to trial it so as to get design feedback before we go any further.

I’ll keep this updated as things progress :)

I’m available 😎 I was also an early tester for the YI200 and still intend buying one when funds permit.

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for your input, enthusiasm and support on this!  I'll be starting work with the transformers, as they dictate size and weight constraints and of course performance!  The YI200 used a toroidal output transformer, but this had to be rated at over 300 watts to maintain 200w at 40Hz.  I've learnt a lot out transformers and will be switching to traditional EI designs for output, and keep toroid for mains to reduce weight.  It's still gonna be heavy but nowhere near SVT levels.

I made a 100W valve bass amp for the bassist in my old pub band, had volume to spare and solid as a rock, which was the inspiration for the YI-200, should have just started with that but I wanted more power 😁

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, Stoneham said:

Thanks to everyone for your input, enthusiasm and support on this!  I'll be starting work with the transformers, as they dictate size and weight constraints and of course performance!  The YI200 used a toroidal output transformer, but this had to be rated at over 300 watts to maintain 200w at 40Hz.  I've learnt a lot out transformers and will be switching to traditional EI designs for output, and keep toroid for mains to reduce weight.  It's still gonna be heavy but nowhere near SVT levels.

I made a 100W valve bass amp for the bassist in my old pub band, had volume to spare and solid as a rock, which was the inspiration for the YI-200, should have just started with that but I wanted more power 😁

Nice one, Martin. Looking forward to seeing & hearing this 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stoneham said:

Thanks for joining the discussion here too!

I am very excited by this “little” project 😃

• Like 1

On 14/07/2022 at 15:30, Merton said:

Update:

1. Will probably aim for adding a bias selector so users can choose KT88 or 6550 for ~100W or EL34 for ~60-70W

2. Preamp will be designed with a Gain control to create drive

3. Power amp Martin says he likes to design as clean as possible but “100W is 100W” which makes sense

4. Chassis more likely to be like the new Ashdown LB30-2 than the Orange Terror; Martin says he wants a fresh, original look that’s different to anything else

5. Nothing will really happen until August or September but when he can he will prototype something and get some local bassists to trial it so as to get design feedback before we go any further.

I’ll keep this updated as things progress :)

Totally agree with the 100 watts is 100 watts, whatever the amplifier type. I've read so many threads about 100 watts V4B initially being enough then not quite cutting it live. There's not a single 100 watt amp that would handle my gigs in a not too loud pop/rock covers band. If the relatively clean settings on a V4B don't work for you I doubt any 100 watt valve head would (not sure how Handbox manage to get more clean headroom?) I have tried the 200 watt AD200B which is probably the minimum I'd be comfortable with.

Valve watts tend to sound sweeter at the limit but are still only watts. Over the past few decades 500 and 800 watt bass heads seem to have become the norm and if you really are using all that power on your gigs a 100 watt amp (valve or otherwise) isn't going to be enough IMO.

Edited by Sparky Mark
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Merton said:

Thanks for joining the discussion here too!

I am very excited by this “little” project 😃

100% agree. Its great to see a UK manufacturer taking this on.

Bass amps that bass players actually want rather than what the companies think they want. :laugh1:

Huge respect to @Stoneham for doing it and joining in the discussion to keep us informed.

If only all bass amp companies could be like this.

Dave 👍

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Stoneham said:

Awesome that Martin, reckon it could be killer. Deffo a NE Bass Bash prototype trial run 🤞😉

• Like 3

I registered interest because, well it's gear innit! 

I have, and have regularly gigged, a 100w tube amp (Ashdown) by the way and cannot imagine a band too loud for it.

The deciding factor will probably be price, but with time to squirrel a little bit away, it might be feasible.

• Like 1