Why become a member? ×

New player bass suggestions

sunsetandlabrea

Hello,

I'm thinking of taking up the bass, and need some suggestions of what to look for. I'm not a new musician I've been playing guitar for too many years to mention, and saxophone too.

Budget is around £2000, but could go a little higher.

I want something flexible in terms of musical style, but mainly focus on jazz on other instruments.

Fretted and 5 string, I think.

I'm considering the Yamaha BB35. I like Yamaha instruments in general, I have a couple saxes, piano and a guitar by them.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Richard

For someone thinking or considering taking up bass i'd suggest second hand or something far cheaper than 2k.

Yamahas are excellent basses and there is no shortage of them for sale.

Such as this one: 

You have come to the best place for advice. 

Undoubtedly someone else will come along with some proper recommendations for you.

Have fun shopping around!

• Like 3

Thank you @Thump. Yes, I have looked at cheaper basses too.

I'm generally pretty good at knowing when I'll take to something, and I'd rather get something I want now than have to sell something later and buy something else. As I say I'm not a new musician, just new to bass.

Thanks,

Richard

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Thump said:

For someone thinking or considering taking up bass i'd suggest second hand or something far cheaper than 2k.

Yamahas are excellent basses and there is no shortage of them for sale.

Such as this one: 

You have come to the best place for advice. 

Undoubtedly someone else will come along with some proper recommendations for you.

Have fun shopping around!

.....and that one is in mint condition!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sunsetandlabrea said:

I'm considering the Yamaha BB35. I like Yamaha instruments in general, I have a couple saxes, piano and a guitar by them.

Ultimately, it sounds like you've honed in on a pretty good decision. They are excellent professional instruments, but in the guitar world are probably not seen as 'cool' as other brands. However if you're well beyond that mindset, the BBP35 is ideal and you'd have some change.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Machines said:

Ultimately, it sounds like you've honed in on a pretty good decision. They are excellent professional instruments, but in the guitar world are probably not seen as 'cool' as other brands. However if you're well beyond that mindset, the BBP35 is ideal and you'd have some change.

Thank you. Yes, I'm well beyond that mindset! Getting old does that to you.

When I was young I worked in a music shop for about eight years. The Yamaha guitars definitely weren't cool, but they mostly played better than their price range counterparts and often better than guitars twice the price.

• Like 3

Even if you can afford to spend 2k, it might be worth not taking that leap immediately because you might find that your perspective on what you need in an instrument changes along with your own style/skills on the instrument and the musical situations you find yourself in. Six months in you might try a different bass and have an epiphany.

My 2p is strings are king - the type of strings you use make a big difference to sound/feel, but that journey can be expensive even if you were to try only a handful of varieties.

And of course this (you could buy an old trace combo for a couple hundred, but make sure you have a good hernia surgeon on speed dial)

4 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Remember to budget for an amp...

37 minutes ago, Machines said:

Definitely, great quality instruments, cover pretty much anything and incredibly reliable as well.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Machines said:

Only idiots look down their noses at Yamahas ;)

Come to think of it, anyone who looks down their nose at anyone's instrument is an idiot IMO.

• Like 3

Here is the perfect bass for you (It is not my bass and I have no connections to the seller, just saw it)

https://thebassgallery.com/collections/bass/products/yamaha-bbne2-nathan-east

Yamaha BBNE2. I have never played one (I can hardly cope with 4 strings) but I have heard a lot of good things about it. Worth checking out and London is not too far from Northamptonshire, so maybe worth a trip to the capital? 🙂 

IMG_12072022_124741__1100_x_703_pixel_1600x.thumb.jpg.a55bd89884c30ad089f9acc1319f7346.jpg

• Like 4

For 2k you can buy all three (3) you want in this phase:

1st is the one that looks good and others say it's a great first instrument.

2nd is the one you think you need.

3rd is the one that includes all of your preferred details that make you play it a lot.

Joke aside, go to a store and forget price tags, brands, and anything else. Sit down, play as many as possible, and you probably end up with something that fits you.

Bassists are more liberal in fancy electronics, or brands (although some surely will tell you that P or J is the one and only, works everywhere and for everyone. And it has to be a Fender from certain period etc.). Find the body that feels good against you, and the neck that is comfortable in your hands. Try strings: Lighter set might be my suggestion along with a pro setup.

• Like 3

Yeah I’d agree with the above really. If you’re not a bassist, don’t spend £2k on your first bass. ( I’ve been a bassist for more than 30 years and I still haven’t spent £2k on a bass!) 

Go and try out lots and see how they feel.

Good that you’ve got a big budget so you’re not limited, but really good basses exist at all price ranges, as do really bad ones.

Means you can keep some of the money for a good amp, decent strings etc which really will make a positive difference to how you sound, and hopefully inspire you to keep at it!

Good luck on your mission!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, SubsonicSimpleton said:

Even if you can afford to spend 2k, it might be worth not taking that leap immediately because you might find that your perspective on what you need in an instrument changes along with your own style/skills on the instrument and the musical situations you find yourself in. Six months in you might try a different bass and have an epiphany.

My 2p is strings are king - the type of strings you use make a big difference to sound/feel, but that journey can be expensive even if you were to try only a handful of varieties.

This. It is certainly fine to spend 2k on your first bass if that budget is fine for you. However, with 2k I am not saying you have the world at your feet but the choice you have is massive. And there is no amount of reading and advice and youtube videos that will tell you if, on a bass, you prefer 38, 40 or 42, 43mm nut width, U, C or V shaped necks, single coils, humbuckers or split, at the neck or the bridge or both or a combination - and alnico or ceramic, or active or passive etc..

On the other hand, I am sure the good people of Basschat will point you to a fine bass you can live with.

@itu said it as a joke but honestly I think you'd be much better off buying three very good and very different basses second hand here for 500-600, give yourelf a good anount of time, chose a favourite and sell the others, or sell all and buy an upgraded version of your favourite.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 14/07/2022 at 05:11, sunsetandlabrea said:

I'm considering the Yamaha BB35

As someone mentioned there is a plethora of excellent Basses available; definitely in 1500-2500 range and the BB35 is one of them and very competitive in all areas Sound, playability, quality construction, finish and overall design.

You can spend alot of time running to different music stores, watching tons of you tube Video's all with different production levels, agonizing over making a decision and wandering maybe there is a better one I haven't heard ETC. or just get the BB35 and be Happy now ; Nevermind what is the fun in that😀 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I would also suggest a more modest bass for your first bass, especially when you are looking at a 5 string.

One of the biggest challenges you will face on bass as a guitar player is muting, and the B string makes this even more difficult. Keeping the bass quiet is more difficult than actually playing the notes half the time.

The better the instrument you get the better the pickups will be and more unwanted frequencies and overtones will be picked up. This will help with technique, but it may also stop you from actually playing the instrument.

If you pick up a 2nd hand Yamaha 5 string from one of the more well known active members on this forum, you will be able to sell the bass on in a year's time for roughly the same money should you want to upgrade.

I was going to suggest a Sire 5 string v7 or even v10 but you've been playing a while and you know what you like so just get the yamaha. Buying a bass is line buying a guitar, look for sharp frets, dodgy controls, 60hz hum/grounding, the way it balances, all stuff you already know from guitar. You'll be fine. 

I have to say I purchased a Fender Player Precision bass last year and it was probably one of the nicest playing basses I've ever had in 30+ years of playing bass. They just seems to have gotten everything "right" with the player basses. Ive owned a mex standard jazz in the past and that was cheap and nasty.  The player series are a real step upwards.

Sound and plays great out of the box, easy to set up. Neck feels great, not to fat or skinny, electronics spot on, weight perfect. If you just want a good bass to get started you cant go wrong with a player precision and they often appear here at around £500 ish. great value IMO. 

Id recommend a maple neck one, the back has a satin finish and the front, a gloss finish, very well done, classy looking.  

Edited by Quilly
  • Like 1