Why become a member? ×

Can anyone on the Wirral lend me bass for a couple of days?

SICbass

Greetings BCers,

I need to ask a favour. Could anyone possibly lend me a bass, so I can get the odd bit of practice in, in-between? Ideally a 5-string, but I would simply be glad of any help. I'm originally a Wallasey lad, but now live in Berlin. I am visiting the family in Wallasey from July 28th - August 10th.  Immediately after my return to Berlin, I am doing my first show covering for a colleague - easy stuff but a ton of fiddly transitions and modulations. I am prepping now, but a 2-week hiatus directly before jumping in without a rehearsal is… suboptimal.

Thanks for any help,

Paul

Edited by SICbass
Clearer message

• SICbass changed the title to Can anyone on the Wirral lend ma bass for a couple of days?
  • SICbass changed the title to Can anyone on the Wirral lend me bass for a couple of days?
6 hours ago, yorks5stringer said:

Maybe buy one at an online retailer from say Germany, get it sent to UK  (if no-one can help out) and send it back as 'not suitable' upon your return?

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_mb_5_sbk_deluxe_series.htm

Hiya,

I did consider that. It just feels a bit... mean of me? I think I might just go ahead and buy one to leave with one of my siblings that I can use on future visits. Or maybe resell at a small loss.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SICbass said:

Hiya,

I did consider that. It just feels a bit... mean of me? I think I might just go ahead and buy one to leave with one of my siblings that I can use on future visits. Or maybe resell at a small loss.

Hold fire, someone here will help out 👍

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Chaddy said:

Lend a bass to a scouse? having a laugh arn't you :D 

I'm too north sorry mate.

PMT Liverpool you could buy from and collect if that is near by. Aload of 5 Strings from £244 & Amps for £83 or Gumtree local adds. 

I set myself up for that, didn't I? 😂 It would be churlish to turn down such an opportunity.

Those prices are good, but if I buy, then probably a Harley Benton from Thomann, starting at 109 quid. Thanks for the suggestion though.

• Like 1

I can lend you my Antoria Jazz bass (its only 4 strings...), its not worth much monetarily but it has sentimental value so I'd never sell it. But let's say, a £50 deposit? With the sentimental value, I'm 100% assured to return the deposit when you give it back.

• Thanks 1

We've a five-string that we'd happily lend out, but we're in France, so... :$

Shirley there's someone in that lovely region that has a fiver as a spare not being used for a few days that could help a fellow bassist (and BCer to boot...)..? o.O

• Like 1

I have a Peavey Foundation 5 sitting in a case doing nowt but am in SE Essex with no practical way of getting it to you or back again, short of courier.  And for what that costs you'd be better off investing in a Harley Benton or a cheapie on eBay/Gumtree.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, paul_c2 said:

I can lend you my Antoria Jazz bass (its only 4 strings...), its not worth much monetarily but it has sentimental value so I'd never sell it. But let's say, a £50 deposit? With the sentimental value, I'm 100% assured to return the deposit when you give it back.

14 hours ago, lurksalot said:

If Paul’s offer doesn’t work give me a PM , I don’t have any  5’s though 

Guys, thank you so much for your kind offers, but despite my own statement at the top of the thread, having worked on the material a lot since then I have realised that I really do need a 5-string. I'm not the greatest sight-reader, so I'm essentially learning lines/patterns that would require a different position on a 4-string (granted, a useful exercise, but not with the time constraints I am under) and it's muscle memory I am working on for this gig.

Thanks again and sorry for wasting anyone's time.

13 minutes ago, Paul S said:

I have a Peavey Foundation 5 sitting in a case doing nowt but am in SE Essex with no practical way of getting it to you or back again, short of courier.  And for what that costs you'd be better off investing in a Harley Benton or a cheapie on eBay/Gumtree.

Thanks Paul, that is super kind of you. I am gradually gravitating towards the same solution.

Edited by SICbass
  • Like 1

Can anyone remember what the term is that they use on Thomann for instruments that are damaged (I don't mean B-Stock, worse than that) and that they sell off cheap as chips - or should I say even cheaper than cheap as chips, but that have often proved to be playable?

Edited by SICbass

38 minutes ago, SICbass said:

Can anyone remember what the term is that they use on Thomann for instruments that are damaged (I don't mean B-Stock, worse than that) and that they sell off cheap as chips - or should I say even cheaper than cheap as chips, but that have often proved to be playable?

Deko

They never seem to have now. Never when I check anyway. Used to get a bargain there.