Why become a member? ×

Hi fellow Bassplayers...

TheJazzBassMan

Just wanted to say Hi to all of you - and post a bit about myself.

I'm from Denmark and have been an active musician since 1985. I like to play/learn alot of different styles of music. I'm a 4 or 5 string player - whatever the music calls for ( or whatever get's the job done ). I chose Basschat because it's closer to home.

• Like 1

Thank you - Bunion - carlitos71 - Crusoe - SpondonBassed 😊. I'm late for the show here - was out gigging at a local festival.

@carlitos71 I play a variety of music

Rock'n roll

Progressive rock

Hard Rock

Blues

Pop

Dance music

Reggae

Folk music

Country Music

I try to keep myself busy learning as much as possible - the narrow way doesn't work in this country - you gotta cover alot of area.

Instruments:

Fender JazzBass+  1993 model

Precision Bass 1960's model (parts build)

Fender Aerodyne Precision Bass

Line6 Variax 700

Yamaha TRB1005J with Bartolini PU and Delano Preamp

Traben Array Limited 5 string with Delano PU and Preamp

Amplification.

GK 1001RB -II

Crown XLS1502

Mesaboogie Subway Preamp & DI

TC BG250 2x10"

Ashdown Cabs

I tend to use smaller rigs or IEM systems at present - and let FOH run the rest.

• Like 3

@Richard R

Traben were a US produced bass - not made anymore as the original company is defunct by now.

They did make a nice playable 5 stringer - of which i did not like the electronics,so they were replaced Pickups & preamp from the german

Delano company.

The picture is of an original bass - not mine - just an example

billede.thumb.png.d8e32c3f87f0ae9cf08d250f2ae5edc4.png

Edited by TheJazzBassMan
  • Like 1

@Franticsmurf Yes it seems quite a lot when i'm counting 😊 - I have worked as a substitute bassplayer for other bands occasionally - thats when you really need to step up your style and act fast - it's fun and challenging,but mostly people are nice to work with. I tend to like Motown and old fashioned swing music - yeh I know - I'm a romantic.  I just can't see myself not learning something new,that is like - starving.  So old music or new music does not matter for me,what people wanna hear - I play - to the best of my abilities 😃

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TheJazzBassMan said:

Yes it seems quite a lot when i'm counting...

I assumed when I started playing that I would be playing prog rock - the genre I was into at the time (and still am, but don't tell anyone). But very quickly I found it doesn't really work like that unless you're playing your own stuff. So after reading your post I had a think about what I actually play. As things stand, I think I can tick off all bar the folk music on your list. As you say, depping or subbing widens the span of styles we play. Interestingly for me, although I dislike country and dance music, I enjoy playing it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Franticsmurf said:

I assumed when I started playing that I would be playing prog rock - the genre I was into at the time (and still am, but don't tell anyone). But very quickly I found it doesn't really work like that unless you're playing your own stuff. So after reading your post I had a think about what I actually play. As things stand, I think I can tick off all bar the folk music on your list. As you say, depping or subbing widens the span of styles we play. Interestingly for me, although I dislike country and dance music, I enjoy playing it.

In the beginning I think my assumption was a bit like yours - we set a course and deviation is out of the question untill we hit the wall of reality. Jobs not coming in or people losing interest no matter how well the act is performed. Sometimes I think musicians are a hybrid between the actor and the poet. Sometimes we play a role,enterpreting other peoples work,sometimes we deliver the material ourselves. Both of the parts takes some hard effort to fully express the work in question.

But it is a travel that educates you along the way,which I really enjoy - there is more outcome garnered - than what  initially appeared to be 😊

• Like 1

Absolutely agree. 

19 minutes ago, TheJazzBassMan said:

until we hit the wall of reality

I have the bruises of revelation, gained when I hit that wall hard. 😀

20 minutes ago, TheJazzBassMan said:

But it is a travel that educates you along the way,

I think it taught me more about being a musician, a bassist and being in a band than any formal learning. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Franticsmurf said:

Absolutely agree. 

I have the bruises of revelation, gained when I hit that wall hard. 😀......

OHH dear.... Bouncy ride - yeh sometimes you wander around in life - the sun is shining - everything is absolutely fine...

then - you trip......

Learning can be hard at times - but only life and the situations you find yourself in can teach you. As you stated correctly no formal learning prepares you for human interaction. A band can sometimes be seen as a family - and it does take some effort to make it work,to keep everyone satisfied and everyone participating in the journey.

• Like 2

Just now, TheJazzBassMan said:

Thank you very much - nice to meet you 😊

You’re welcome, apologies for not putting in more effort than the BC, welcome emoji, I must try harder. Good place this, as you’ll find. Lots of folk with expertise in many areas, not just playing bass - dive in.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ezbass said:

You’re welcome, apologies for not putting in more effort than the BC.....

Greetings to you too - no offence taken in any way - we communicate different all of us and any generic way of having a

conversation I think would be tedious and boring - diversity is what makes us all special. My own writing differs a bit wether I am on a desktop ( yes they do exist ) or phone. yes I do look forward to chat up with people here from time to time

as i reckon it is a bit more europe based thinking - no offence against our US bass fellows I do care alot for them as well - I just missed a forum closer to "home"

• Like 2

On 15/07/2022 at 22:02, TheJazzBassMan said:

@Richard R

Traben were a US produced bass - not made anymore as the original company is defunct by now.

They did make a nice playable 5 stringer - of which i did not like the electronics,so they were replaced Pickups & preamp from the german

Delano company.

The picture is of an original bass - not mine - just an example

billede.thumb.png.d8e32c3f87f0ae9cf08d250f2ae5edc4.png

That's quite something!   Is all the decorative metalwork attached to the bridge, or separate but very close fitting?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Richard R said:

That's quite something!   Is all the decorative metalwork attached to the bridge, or separate but very close fitting?

No it actually is the bridge quite large.  This was a point of complaint from time to time when conversations of the bass in question turned up on US sites. I works for me no complaint here 😊

billede.png.0cd0e7118cd95dbd9ed0aed942f86b64.png Picture of a "Generic" replacement bridge.

Edited by TheJazzBassMan