Why become a member? ×

Gibson Rex Brown Thunderbird

Jonesy

38 minutes ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Quite.

Spector and Musicman would be my immediate thoughts. 

Yeah you'd just get the Spector Rex. Reminds me a little bit of when Dean and Gibson released posthumous John Entwistle and Hendrix sigs respectively via deals with their estates, at least this time Gibson are cashing in while the guy is still alive!

Saw a review of the new Gibson Mustaine V, got absolutely shredded and not in a good way.

At least the Gene Simmons Thunderbird will hold it's value.... and possibly gain value due to the collectability of all things KISS. Gene also did play Gibsons on and off from 74-78 (including having a TBird as backup on tour).

Rex switches endorsements like he (I hope) changes pants and I've never seen him play a Gibson TBird. He moved from Spector who wouldn't give him freebies to Warwick, who give them out like jelly beans. How he or Gibson can be taken seriously with this, though, I don't know.

Still, he's got the Shamtera reunion to do with Zakk Wylde who, a year ago, he swore would definitely NOT be involved...

Ah, the mighty dollar....

• Like 1

They should not have used the Pantera name. Like Ben & Jerry's or Tom & Jerry, they could have called themselves Rex & Phil or Phil & Rex playing Pantera songs. A bit like what Peter Hook is doing with "Peter Hook & the Light", "performing the 'Unknown Pleasures' & 'Closer' albums by Joy Division, w/ opening New Order set". Currently on tour: https://peterhookandthelight.live 

Phil has been touring, playing only Pantera tunes, for the last couple of years. Using the big name gets them off mid-afternoon festival slots to headliner status and with lots more cash money in the bank. Rex wouldn't have his signature bass if it was "Phil, Rex & Chums", Gibson wouldn't have touched him if he didn't reek of future filthy lucre. The respective Abbot estates have seen the numbers and nodded solemnly in approval.

And this is before we think of the extraordinarily tasteless merch opportunities waiting to be explored. 

Many cans will be crushed against foreheads next year.

Edited by Doctor J

1 minute ago, Doctor J said:

Phil has been touring, playing only Pantera tunes, for the last couple of years. Using the big name gets them off mid-afternoon festival slots to headliner status and with lots more cash money in the bank. Rex wouldn't have his signature bass if it was "Phil, Rex & Chums". The respective Abbot estates have seen the numbers and nodded solemnly in approval.

Many cans will be crushed against foreheads next year.

I agree, I can see the business case for touring as Pantera. Well, let's see how many people want to see half-Pantera next year. I won't be one of them.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Well. I saw one of these in the flesh today.

794EA74A-C8CA-41C5-BCE2-D07C080ED41B.thumb.jpeg.3377360684008e7b766ea6dc20016c48.jpeg

Erm.

Wow.

I haven’t seen finishing of that standard on a bass since I designed and made my own in GCSE woodworking in 1999.

96E44DE1-C790-4D74-A250-03540BE98FDE.png

0AE8D83B-F79E-4F24-9DDE-654C42B118F5.png

Is the bridge aged or something?  The finish looks a bit bobbly/skanky.

That looks bad indeed. When we discussed the Gene Simmons T'bird a while ago (that also had some poor finish), I suggested that Gibson should call its finish "proto-relic".  In this way they could make it an official feature and charge even more money 😉 

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

I didn’t play it…I also didn’t see the price.

I just can’t believe that left the factory.

I used to sell Gibson gear 2003-2014 and didn’t see anything quite as shocking as that.

I once played a Gibson, semi acoustic guitar that had a paint job like that on the neck.

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, ezbass said:

I once played a Gibson, semi acoustic guitar that had a paint job like that on the neck.

I sent a Les Paul back with something approaching that under the “poker chip” next to body/neck join - I spoke to European warehouse “if you think I’m selling that for £1800 you’re mad - I won’t do it”

probably just went to another shop after I sent it.

• Like 1