Why become a member? ×

A bass player's guide to Liverpool

PaulHornBass

I'm relocating to Liverpool soon and I'm looking forward to getting to know the area so I thought I'd ask - what recommendations do folk on here have, in terms of places to see live music, bass shops, luthiers, and indeed anything else bass playing related? I know there was a famous bass player from around there (called McCarthy or something like that) and I will be checking out the touristy sights but I bet there are some hidden gems too...

Welcome to Liverpool, it's a boss place to be!

Live music: for big stuff, we've got the arena, the Olympia (which is architecturally wonderful with a fascinating history, if a little scruffy), the obligatory O2 Academy, and Arts Club (which was a favourite haunt of mine before Academy Group took it over and sucked the soul from it, but still gets decent touring gigs), and the Mountford Hall at the uni. The Philharmonic is gorgeous for classical and for gigs in general. Smaller stuff, there's Frederik's if you're a jazzer, and Phase One, Jacaranda, EBGBs, Jimmy's for 100-200 cap shows with a mix of touring and local artists.  The Zanzibar was a legendary small venue but it changed hands in recent years, was largely rebuilt and by many accounts has lost both the character and the excellent sound quality that made it what it was.  24 Kitchen Street has the more interesting/out there stuff and does a lot of hip hop, jazz, electronic stuff - I occasionally mix shows in there when I'm off tour and there's always interesting things going on, a very cool spot. Outpost is smaller again and does a lot of the independent punkier/heavier stuff. There's obviously The Cavern on Mathew St, and a fair few bars down that end that have live music, but it's predominantly covers gigs and a bit of a tourist trap. I'm sure I've missed a couple of others too - I don't get out in the city centre that often these days between touring work and the kids!

Music shops: you've got Curly Music in the city centre, Moran Sound (oldest music shop in the city) out in the suburbs in Gateacre, PMT are headquartered in the south of the city and have a collection point at their HQ (but not a shop/showroom) and Frailers is out in Runcorn, a short drive away. For techy/recording stuff, Studiocare are out in Speke and have a small showroom attached to the warehouse. 

Luthiers: you've got Palfray Guitars working out of Sort Rehearsal Rooms (which is a wonderful, clean, well equipped and modern rehearsal studio run by lovely people), or you've got KGB over the water in Birkenhead, both are great. 

It's a thriving city with a huge musical community, loads of culture and history to soak up, some cool things happening outside of the city centre on Smithdown Road, Lark Lane and the like, and a great restaurant scene both in the city and the suburbs with a lot of boss independent cafes and restaurants around  You'll love it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great post above. I was born and brought up there but I’m afraid my knowledge is stuck in the 60s and 70s… so Hessey’s, Rushworth’s and the Stadium aren’t there any more. 

Hope you have a great time there… I’m sure it’s still a lively and vibrant place. They all talk with funny accents, though… can’t seem to shake mine off…

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, mike257 said:

Welcome to Liverpool, it's a boss place to be!

Live music: for big stuff, we've got the arena, the Olympia (which is architecturally wonderful with a fascinating history, if a little scruffy), the obligatory O2 Academy, and Arts Club (which was a favourite haunt of mine before Academy Group took it over and sucked the soul from it, but still gets decent touring gigs), and the Mountford Hall at the uni. The Philharmonic is gorgeous for classical and for gigs in general. Smaller stuff, there's Frederik's if you're a jazzer, and Phase One, Jacaranda, EBGBs, Jimmy's for 100-200 cap shows with a mix of touring and local artists.  The Zanzibar was a legendary small venue but it changed hands in recent years, was largely rebuilt and by many accounts has lost both the character and the excellent sound quality that made it what it was.  24 Kitchen Street has the more interesting/out there stuff and does a lot of hip hop, jazz, electronic stuff - I occasionally mix shows in there when I'm off tour and there's always interesting things going on, a very cool spot. Outpost is smaller again and does a lot of the independent punkier/heavier stuff. There's obviously The Cavern on Mathew St, and a fair few bars down that end that have live music, but it's predominantly covers gigs and a bit of a tourist trap. I'm sure I've missed a couple of others too - I don't get out in the city centre that often these days between touring work and the kids!

Music shops: you've got Curly Music in the city centre, Moran Sound (oldest music shop in the city) out in the suburbs in Gateacre, PMT are headquartered in the south of the city and have a collection point at their HQ (but not a shop/showroom) and Frailers is out in Runcorn, a short drive away. For techy/recording stuff, Studiocare are out in Speke and have a small showroom attached to the warehouse. 

Luthiers: you've got Palfray Guitars working out of Sort Rehearsal Rooms (which is a wonderful, clean, well equipped and modern rehearsal studio run by lovely people), or you've got KGB over the water in Birkenhead, both are great. 

It's a thriving city with a huge musical community, loads of culture and history to soak up, some cool things happening outside of the city centre on Smithdown Road, Lark Lane and the like, and a great restaurant scene both in the city and the suburbs with a lot of boss independent cafes and restaurants around  You'll love it!

This is just what I was looking for - thanks so much! 👍👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zbd1960 said:

Jazz there is also The Caledonian (near the Philharmonic Hall) and Ma Boyles (finance district)

Can't believe I forgot the Cali. Cracking pub in general, and like you say, a good spot for jazz. Now that I think on it, The Grapes on Roscoe St do jazz bits from time to time too. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, PaulHornBass said:

Hopefully Crosby - we have some friends and family there and they love it. 

Ah, up the north end! You won't have a purple wheelie bin up there, which some will say means it's not technically Liverpool 🤣 I lived in Crosby briefly when I was about 13. I'm over in Wavertee in the south end these days. 

It's a lovely area, and you can add Harmonics Music to your guitar shop list. South Drive has regular live music in a few of the pubs/bars down there, done the odd pub gig and acoustic set over there back when I used to dabble in that. Again, nice places to eat/drink. The Plaza cinema is community owned and a decent place to catch a film. 

Crosby beach is lovely, and you've got the Anthony Gormley iron men on the beach for a nice bit of public art. We drive up to walk the dogs there every now and again. You've also got easy access further north to Formby - the pine woods are a National Trust site and the sand dunes and beach are great to explore with the kids.

9 minutes ago, mike257 said:

Ah, up the north end! You won't have a purple wheelie bin up there, which some will say means it's not technically Liverpool 🤣 I lived in Crosby briefly when I was about 13. I'm over in Wavertee in the south end these days. 

It's a lovely area, and you can add Harmonics Music to your guitar shop list. South Drive has regular live music in a few of the pubs/bars down there, done the odd pub gig and acoustic set over there back when I used to dabble in that. Again, nice places to eat/drink. The Plaza cinema is community owned and a decent place to catch a film. 

Crosby beach is lovely, and you've got the Anthony Gormley iron men on the beach for a nice bit of public art. We drive up to walk the dogs there every now and again. You've also got easy access further north to Formby - the pine woods are a National Trust site and the sand dunes and beach are great to explore with the kids.

Haha, yes - I did think as I typed that, is Crosby technically Merseyside and not Liverpool? I will be working in Liverpool proper though! Thanks for the great recommendations - the move can't come soon enough. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, PaulHornBass said:

Hopefully Crosby - we have some friends and family there and they love it. 

My brother lives in Crosby. If things work out, I'll be moving out that way in due course (currently I live in Shropshire). 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, PaulHornBass said:

Haha, yes - I did think as I typed that, is Crosby technically Merseyside and not Liverpool? I will be working in Liverpool proper though! Thanks for the great recommendations - the move can't come soon enough. 

Crosby comes under Sefton, which used to be Lancashire until they played around with the counties back in 1973  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, zbd1960 said:

My brother lives in Crosby. If things work out, I'll be moving out that way in due course (currently I live in Shropshire). 

Excellent. Fingers crossed your move works out.

Bass players of Sefton, unite! You have nothing to lose but your disputed county borders! 

• Haha 2

Yup, spent far too much time in my youth browsing in Curly's, Hessey's & Rushies in the 80's & 90's. There used to be a great shop on Wavertree Road and off Hamilton Square in Birkenhead. Both long gone though. 

Night life & gigs used to be good too.

There were some great rehearsal rooms too, Vulcan out by the docks (still going AFAIK), Crash off Dale Street, and a place near Sandhills Station under the railway arches (can't recall the name though).

Haven't been round there for 20-odd years.

Edited by Skybone
  • Like 1