Why become a member? ×

Ibanez SR500... different sound - new pickup or preamp?

ReeV0

Hi all,

I've been using an Ibanez SR500 for years but never been satisfied with the tone, especially the bridge pickup. I was wondering whether I should change the pickups or the preamp. I haven't altered the bass (or any bass) before now...

It currently has the fake Bartolini Mk1's installed, and the stock preamp. I have found someone selling a Bartolini MK2-4R bridge pickup for £25 but can't find anything about it online. I emailed Bartolini and they thought it might have a bit of an impact, since the Mk1 is a split-coil and the Mk2 is a dual coil humbucker. However the Mk2 is 10mm shorter than the Mk1 so not sure how that would affect things...

The other option is to leave the pickups but change the preamp. I like the look of the Aguilar OBP3TK, but not sure I'd have the technical know-how to install it. From the pictures it looks like there are only 3 knobs, but currently the bass has 5 (other two being volume and pickup blend). Does anyone know how straightforward it would be to install in the SR500?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

21 minutes ago, Cliff Edge said:

I put Nordstrand Big Singles in my SR900. Straight swap for the Bart’s. The pre amp isn’t great but the bass now has a much better tone all round. 

Cool. They're about the same price as the Aguilar preamp... Not sure what to go for!

Tough call, I upgraded a Spector Legend custom with Nordestrand big blades and a Glockenlang pre-amp, it totally transformed the bass, I put the same Glockenlang pre-amp into my Bass Collection SB801 as the original was dead, I kept the stock EMG's in the bass, way less of a transformation, so based off that rather unscientific experiment, the pickups appear to have more impact than the pre-amp!

I have an ESP Horizon bass where the stock EMG electrics have been replaced with a full Bartolini set up and I absolutely hate it, it lacks any depth, any sparkle...to be honest it lacks everything, I seem to remember owning a Tune Woodbass many years ago which also had Bartolini pickups in, I was hugely underwhelmed with the sound of that as well. 

• Like 1

ESP Horizon, had one years ago…. Fabulous thing. Totally stock, it was immense, the band loved it too.

Just my preference, in my experience, the Pre is the best place to start. One example, I put a Nordstrand into an OLP stingray….. not a massive improvement….. recently I stuck a Kiogon loom into a stock, cheap P bass with it’s original pickup….. and it sounded beautiful.

Average pups can be greatly improved with a decent EQ…… but can an average EQ do the same to a decent pickup? Not sure.

The bass currently has the Bartolini (Cort) Mk1 pups. It's already had a good setup and have tried many different strings, but never liked the sound of the instrument.

I don't suppose anyone could recommend one of these? Don't think I'd get on well with the Blade as I feel I'd be hitting it with the string and get that undesired 'tapping' sound 

https://nordstrandaudio.com/collections/4-string-soapbar-bass-pickups

I was in the same position. the SR500 is really nice to play and very lightweight. But I wasn't too keen on the sound. I upgraded to a (used) Premium Ibanez bass with Nord Big Something pickups. It probably worked out cheaper than just buying the pickups and fitting them to the SR500.

22 hours ago, Cliff Edge said:

I put Nordstrand Big Singles in my SR900. Straight swap for the Bart’s. The pre amp isn’t great but the bass now has a much better tone all round. 

Heard a demo of one of the top end SRs that has big singles in and it sounded lovely. Sorry, never did find the clip a second time.

My tupporth..

I got a Cort 5 string with those MK-1 pickups and possibly the same preamp. Sounded OK, but on the harsh side.

I did alot of reading round on forum threads, and most folks were critical of the pre. As am experiment I bypassed the pre and got a significant improvement in tone just from the Barts, so cast around and here on BC found a second hand Aguilar OPB-3. Way better than before!

Change or bypass the pre before changing the pickups is my vote.

Start at the source! Otherwise it's a bit like having a great turntable and putting a cheap cartridge on it.

All my basses have custom pickups installed. I talk to the pup guy about what tone I'm after and he gets the pickup response as close to that as possible. 

After that, I'll choose a pre amp based on the sound once they're installed. Quite often they end up as passive but it depends on how versatile I want it to be.

I've got an SR 5 string, a 655 maybe? It's got the Nordstrand-licensed PJ pickups. I replaced the stock Ibby preamp with a Darkglass Tone Capsule - night and day difference. But then those pickups are decent to start with in my opinion.

I have another SR bass, a 4 string with Nordstrand big singles and the stock Ibby preamp. Sounds good too, but out of the two, I prefer the bass with the upgraded pre.

Totally appreciate what you say about the £ required to replace both.