Why become a member? ×

Tone pot removal or 2 pickups into one tone pot

DaleASmith

I never use the tone pot. its just always on full. 

I never blend my pickups. They're both on full all the time.

So, can I just take my current setup ( CV Jag bass with 2 stacked tone / volume pots ) and just have both pickups wired to a single stacked tone / volume pot?

Or, even better, just a volume. ( I realise that might be problematic as the tone pot does filter even when on full )

Any thoughts?

You haven't really explained why you want to do this.  Is there a better reason other than "I never use them"?  I am also a tone all the way up kind of player, but I'm not modding all my basses to get rid of the tone pots...

• Like 1

Hi. Thanks for the replies..

Reasoning.. firstly, I want to install a "kill switch" as i often use this on another bass I have.  I realise I could do this with my current set up, but removing a tone/vol pot would free up space. A single volume pot would give me the option to bring volume up and down in a live situation ( think effects wise, not just for stage level ) which cant be done with a pair of volume pots.

I could get a foot volume pedal, but I would still like a kill switch so thought this might be a viable option.

I've an Epihone Les Paul thing...

The Tone pot has a non latching 'push' kill switch... for the stutter type effect. Use one as the Vol pot?

I think you can also get push on push off latching (rather than push / pull) if you want an OFF switch

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 1

Similar in principal, I have an old Ibanez (for sale folks) and just wired the P/J pickups into a pickup selector switch, into a volume pot. then to the output jack.  I tend to just leave the selector in the centre position so both pickups are active.  No issues.

As to why?  Much like the OP, I tend to play passive kit with everything open and here I really couldn't be bothered wiring in tone pots.

• Like 1

when I had my shortscale Jaguar bass I replaced the control plate with a 2 hole mustang control plate and went with 2 volumes, I never use tone controls on basses they are always on full, I recently had a Kiogon harness made for a P bass with the tone control replaced with a bass rolloff, much more useful to me

• Like 1