Why become a member? ×

Before they were famous.

On 08/07/2022 at 10:27, Crusoe said:

I think Ben Miller (Armstrong & Miller) is on drums and Mark Williams (The Fast Show) is on keys. I recognise the guitarist too, but can't remember his name. Not sure who the bloke in the audience that the camera keeps going to is, though 😄

Simon LeBon?

On 08/07/2022 at 10:17, BigRedX said:

That's Karl and Rick who are now Underworld.

Diabolical, with haircuts that would make Dave Hill from Slade shudder. I remember them, they were trying to do the old 'band with no name, just a squiggle' chestnut. Thank feck for Darren Emerson, is all I have to say :D

Pauline Moran comes to mind. She played bass in The She Trinity, a Sixties all girl rock band that had a hit with a version of the Sonny Curtis penned 'He Fought The Law' which The Clash later covered. Moran is much better know as Miss Lemon, the secretary to Hercule Poirot in the David Suchet series 'Agatha Christie's Poirot'. I just looked the band up and apparently they also included the late Barbara Thompson of 'Colosseum' and 'Paraphernalia' fame. I had never made the connection before.

Edited by Bilbo
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Pauline Moran comes to mind. She played bass in The She Trinity, a Sixties all girl rock band that had a hit with a version of the Sonny Curtis penned 'He Fought The Law' which The Clash later covered. Moran is much better know as Miss Lemon, the secretary to Hercule Poirot in the David Suchet series 'Agatha Christie's Poirot'. I just looked the band up and apparently they also included the late Barbara Thompson of 'Colosseum' and 'Paraphernalia' fame. I had never made the connection before.

Loved that. Who would have suspected Mees Leymon to have played that?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, matski said:

Diabolical, with haircuts that would make Dave Hill from Slade shudder. I remember them, they were trying to do the old 'band with no name, just a squiggle' chestnut. Thank feck for Darren Emerson, is all I have to say :D

Really?

I like Underworld's music, but I only got into to it because I'd been a fan of the previous version of Underworld, and Freur before them. All the things that make the second version of Underworld you like stand out from the other "Progressive House" acts of the time had been repurposed from Karl and Rick's previous bands. IMO Darren Emerson always looked like the weak link in the band and unsurprisingly after he left, very little changed and he's done nothing of note musically since then.

12 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Never mind Miss Lemon, Pauline Moran will always be the most terrifying thing I've ever seen on telly...

Pauline-Moran-in-The-Woman-in-Black-Network.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 08/07/2022 at 10:18, uk_lefty said:

Don't know of you're being serious or not... But that was from an ITV "Comedy/ Drama" years back when Martin Clunes and Neil Morrissey were in demand after Man Behaving Badly finished. Neil Morrissey is the singer in that clip and I recognise the guitarist from various other stuff on the telly.

Ben Miller on drums and Ron Weasley’s dad on keys (great outfit, suits you sir!).

On 08/07/2022 at 22:48, obbm said:

Then there’s Lemmy playing guitar in The Rocking Vicars. No video as it was mid-60s but plenty of stills and tracks on YouTube.

Not the Rocking Vicars, but here he is in the late 60s playing guitar with Sam Gopal and having a lovely jaunt along the Thames.

"I am the Lizard King, I can do anything, including wearing a lovely cardigan". Jim Morrison before he discovered leather trousers.