Why become a member? ×

Sore Finger!

Fuzzbass2000

Long time player - recently had to put a fresh set of Chromes on one of my shorties after the last set finally gave up the ghost. Struggling with blistering on my right hand index finger damaging my finger tip. (I am right handed)

My technique hasn’t changed, and I do tend to dig in a fair bit, but I’ve never had this much trouble.  They certainly don’t feel like the last set and whilst they’re relatively new, Ive done 20-25 shows with them and they should start to feel a bit broken in by now.

Did they change the formula? Also any tips on anything I can do to sort this out?

Edited by Fuzzbass2000
Edit

On 09/07/2022 at 22:20, Count Bassy said:

Personally I disagree with this. A gently plucked string highly amplified does not sound the same as a "dug in" string.

I doubt if the guy sitting at the back (or at the front..for that matter) of the venue could tell the difference. 😉 Why suffer unnecessarily...or at all ?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Coilte said:

I doubt if the guy sitting at the back (or at the front..for that matter) of the venue could tell the difference. 😉 Why suffer unnecessarily...or at all ?

Firstly, I probably disagree; the attack and decay, harmonic content etc. are all different.

Secondly, if is true, then the same people couldn't tell the difference between a Squier and an Alembic - but we don't all play Squiers, do we?

On 09/07/2022 at 22:20, Count Bassy said:

Personally I disagree with this. A gently plucked string highly amplified does not sound the same as a "dug in" string.

I agree and I also used to play harder with the result, sore finger tips. Generally that was for tonal reasons or if the band was playing loud and I needed to hear myself clearly. During the lockdown I took the opportunity to work on my technique and play with a lighter more even touch and dig in only when I needed that dynamic dug in sound rather than for volume. I now don't have any sore fingers. 

• Like 1

On 13/07/2022 at 13:07, Count Bassy said:

Firstly, I probably disagree; the attack and decay, harmonic content etc. are all different.

Secondly, if is true, then the same people couldn't tell the difference between a Squier and an Alembic - but we don't all play Squiers, do we?

Firstly, I am sure that few, if any people at a  pub gig spend their time discussing the attack and decay, harmonic content etc. of the bass. 😉

Secondly, the difference here is that you are not causing yourself any pain or discomfort (except maybe to your wallet 😆 ) by playing the bass of your choice.