Why become a member? ×

Sushi Box FX SBVT - SVT style twin-tube preamp pedal - £240 posted to the UK - *SOLD*
£240
London

admiralchew

Sushi Box FX SBVT. Twin 12AX7 tube preamp pedal handmade in the US to channel the SVT.

It sounds 3D, open and huge and, as expected of Sushi Box, is very well made. I used it to give heft to my signal when not playing through an amp (just a desktop DI), and it worked fantastically. It just feels different when putting the signal through tubes.

£240 posted in the UK via Royal Mail Special Delivery.

I can provide demos on request as I’m aware they’re relatively rare, and I’m happy to answer any questions.

IMG-8912.thumb.jpg.a7ae503dd82d4dde69cc3cc5131cc688.jpg

IMG-8913.jpg

Edited by admiralchew
SOLD
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Good question, I should have included that data. It’s pre, so the frequencies are those below. I gather Nathan at Sushi Box is revisiting the circuit again, as he seems to do from time to time, with the result that it’s not been possible to order one for a while (which is why I ended up having to pick this one up from Reverb). I’ve always found it to be plenty flexible though and generally stick with the same mids setting - the gain and bass controls are where the action is at with this pedal, in my opinion. I’ve recently taken delivery of a Noble and picked up Parabellum so my space for other tube pedals at the moment is slim. I love the SVT tone and I think the SBVT does a good job of achieving it, and in a way that gives a bit more heft (owing to the twin tubes) than that the solid state equivalents.

201 Hz

428 Hz

494 Hz

605 Hz

672 Hz

1.17 Khz

1.66 Khz

3 Khz

I was actually A/Bing the two last week and they’re slightly different beasts. The SBVT is all heft and capable of being super loud and plenty gritty. I feel the notes when I use it. It’s more of a classic preamp pedal and allows using SVT gain tones without deafening people (unless you want to).

The Bassrig is more of an (excellent) emulation tool. It sounds (rather than feels) like the SVT but it doesn’t give me the same giddy joy to use it as the SBVT. However, I often play through monitor speakers so the DI makes it attractive and the in-built cab sim tames the sound in a way I like that can’t be done on the SBVT without another pedal.

If I can find my splitter I may be able to put together a demo of both pedals using the same signal. I’ve got a few demos of the SBVT kicking around if you’d like to hear them.

On 23/07/2022 at 18:44, admiralchew said:

I was actually A/Bing the two last week and they’re slightly different beasts. The SBVT is all heft and capable of being super loud and plenty gritty. I feel the notes when I use it. It’s more of a classic preamp pedal and allows using SVT gain tones without deafening people (unless you want to).

The Bassrig is more of an (excellent) emulation tool. It sounds (rather than feels) like the SVT but it doesn’t give me the same giddy joy to use it as the SBVT. However, I often play through monitor speakers so the DI makes it attractive and the in-built cab sim tames the sound in a way I like that can’t be done on the SBVT without another pedal.

If I can find my splitter I may be able to put together a demo of both pedals using the same signal. I’ve got a few demos of the SBVT kicking around if you’d like to hear them.

What’s it like in IEM’s as I don’t use an amp like these days?, what DI do you use with the SBVT. I did use an NOI Edison valve pre, a Barber Electronics Linden and Audio Kitchen Small Trees Valve DI. Sounded mega but to many pedals to get the sound I wanted. I want something simple that’s fab. The DI in the BassRig and cab simulator was my first choice till I saw the SBVT, Shame it doesn’t have a DI

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/07/2022 at 14:22, bassadder said:

What’s it like in IEM’s as I don’t use an amp like these days?, what DI do you use with the SBVT. I did use an NOI Edison valve pre, a Barber Electronics Linden and Audio Kitchen Small Trees Valve DI. Sounded mega but to many pedals to get the sound I wanted. I want something simple that’s fab. The DI in the BassRig and cab simulator was my first choice till I saw the SBVT, Shame it doesn’t have a DI

I would be interested to hear the answer to this too. I'm tempted by the Origin Bass Rig so I can downsize from a helix but would need to look at a di solution if I considered the SBVT.

@mrtcat I’ve PM’d you as I’m not sure on the BC demo policy.

The Origin Effects Super Vintage is a fantastic bit of kit. It’s more of a one box solution, with DI and cabsims. I find it a bit awkward to run with my Noble as I prefer the Noble to be last in the chain but the features of the SV suggest that should be last. The combination of the SV and the tube from the Noble combine very well though.

The SBVT doesn’t have the bells and whistles of the SV but its dual tubes mean that it automatically has the heft and sheer air-moving power that comes less naturally to the SV, even if the SV nails the SVT tone. As the Noble is a permanent part of my set up and I usually don’t like running tubes into tubes, the SBVT is getting less of a look-in.

One other pedal to consider is the Shift-line Olympic MkIIIS. They’ve been difficult to get hold of as they’re made in Russia but I believe they will be exported again soon. These have a 12AX7 tube, XLR out, SD card changeable cabsims, headphone out and even an FX loop so you can get the SVT sound, tube heft, and not need to worry about where in the chain it’ll go (https://shift-line.com/olympic)

Obviously, touting the Olympic on a sale thread for the SBVT is a bit odd but can you tell I don’t really want to sell my SBVT?

• admiralchew changed the title to *SOLD* Sushi Box FX SBVT - SVT style twin-tube preamp pedal - £240 posted to the UK