Why become a member? ×

Your fave bass player of all time, numero uno, the mutts nuts with a YT vid showing why

This bloke currently for me. This vid reminds me of a modern take on John Entwistle of Jack Bruce where he’s all over the place but NEVER playing anything that doesn’t serve the song. I think gospel music is supplying some of the best musicians at the mo in general.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bartelby said:

You're all wrong! It's Cronos...

I'm joking, btw...

Hahahaha! It sounds like he just has a knackered input jack and is just pulling the lead in and out. 

I do love 'Warhead' though, such a tune!

2 hours ago, Tradfusion said:

Surprised Pino hasn't had a clip yet but I'm happy to oblige with this one... superb fretless intonation and slap technique... yes his fretted stuff is awesome too but this is what does it for me ☺️

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClMU4oxag60

Pino would’ve been the fifth post, but @Barking Spiders made me choose.

14 minutes ago, Hamster said:

A zillions videos of Mr Sheehan out there - I like this one a lot.

The Winery Dogs are a real problem for me. I'm a big Sheehan fan, the vocalists voice is great. All their playing is brilliant. I just don't really like the actual songs...

59 minutes ago, bartelby said:

The Winery Dogs are a real problem for me. I'm a big Sheehan fan, the vocalists voice is great. All their playing is brilliant. I just don't really like the actual songs...

I like the first album and I love a lot of Kotzen's stuff, but could never get into the second album... 

In equal measures, Aston "Family Man" Barrett && Stanley Clarke they are so different and their playing represent the largest influences on my taste in music.

They are joint No:1

Edited by jazzyvee
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Can't do it!

It changes every day.

Could be Sheehan one day, Dunn, then Claypool, then 'Nard, Deacon, Newsted, dUg etc etc.

Go on, you know you can☺️. My top 5 have been pretty consistent all my bass playing life - 'Nard, Louis Johnson, Marcus Miller, Larry Graham and Mark King. BE edges it as for me he's created more memorable basslines. Even played on their own I know which songs they're from. From a technical POV alone #1 would be MM. Stuart Zender I rate highly but his body of work's a bit slim so I only know his Jamiroquai stuff.

12 hours ago, bartelby said:

You're all wrong! It's Cronos...

I'm joking, btw...

Gosh that certainly was a spirited performance...

Has he removed the frets from the upper register of his bass? Did he whip 'em off because he just didn't play them, to cut down the weight of the instrument or does he bust out a high pitched version of "Donna Lee" during the show, too?

Probably my favourite would be Stephen Amazing (Upp). John Deacon is my biggest influence and other names have already cropped up but this guy knows his way around and is pretty dead funky! No visuals to this but stick Upp into YouTube and you get a clip of Upp playing behind Jeff Beck on the Beeb.

UPP - Nitto (1977) - YouTube

Edited by Steve Browning

It has to be "Chicago's" Peter Cetera for me. Obviously the video clip is not him. I posted this clip because the bass lines are higher in the mix, thus giving us better clarity. The cover itself is spot on too. 

• Like 1

Loads of bass players stand out for me.  Special mention goes to (previously nominated) Geddy Lee and Tony Levin.  @Lozz196 has already mentioned Bruce Foxton; one of my bands does punk/new wave stuff and the Jam covers we do really are a cut above, bass line-wise, and Bruce Foxton did all that while jumping up and down.

So, as no one has mentioned Jean Jacques Brunel of the Stranglers, he shall be my nominee.  The bass in the Stranglers stuff when I used to go and see them really stands out, like Lemmy's bass in Motorhead...as Paul Del Bello points out in this YouTube video:

• Like 4