Why become a member? ×

Your fave bass player of all time, numero uno, the mutts nuts with a YT vid showing why

When asked who our fave players are, we all come out with an arms length list but who for you is tip top of the pile and why. So, just ONE name, not two and put up a YT vid showcasing demonstrating what it is about their playing that does it for you. For me it could be a 3-way tie between Louis Johnson, Larry Graham and Bernard Edwards but BE just edges it mainly for the many cracking, memorable basslines he wrote and played not just on Chic tunes but all those other artists BE and NR wrote songs for and produced. It's not just the lines themselves but his fantastic tone and nuanced playing using muted notes. Incidentally Nile is also my fave rhythm guitar player (not heard anyone quite nail his style and tone) and Tony Thompson is a fave drummer who had a brilliant hi-hat technique. This clip contains BE's famous 'chucking' technique, something which I still struggle to get quite right.

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Gah! Just one? It’s always a toss up between Pino and Tony Levin. My knee jerk reaction is always Pino, but now you’re making me think about it and since my recent ennui with the typical ‘80s style fretless playing that got me into playing bass in the first place (Paul Young’s ‘No Parlez’ album to be precise) I think I’m going to have to say TL (takes a long look in the mirror and asks, “Who are you?”). He’s not dissimilar to Pino in his playing, but he also has that prog sensibility where he might go off on a tangent and come up with something completely unexpected and new (funk fingers for instance) and then he also plays upright and cello. So, waves of hate to you @Barking Spiders for making me choose 😂 and here is Mr Levin doing his thing.

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 7

My shortlist contained three names. Third was Geddy Lee, second (partly because he's a number 1 choice above) is Tony Levin. Leaving Chris Squire as my choice. I love his basslines, backing vocals and the sound he gets from his Ricky. He's been one of the main influences of my bass career. 

Edited by Franticsmurf
  • Like 3

Would have to be Bruce Foxton, I just love his melodic riffs that in most of The Jams material carry the song as much - imo - as the vocals. None of them too complex but on a lot of them he sings as well with cross-melodies.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

When asked who our fave players are, we all come out with an arms length list but who for you is tip top of the pile and why. So, just ONE name, not two and put up a YT vid showcasing demonstrating what it is about their playing that does it for you. For me it could be a 3-way tie between Louis Johnson, Larry Graham and Bernard Edwards but BE just edges it mainly for the many cracking, memorable basslines he wrote and played not just on Chic tunes but all those other artists BE and NR wrote songs for and produced. It's not just the lines themselves but his fantastic tone and nuanced playing using muted notes. Incidentally Nile is also my fave rhythm guitar player (not heard anyone quite nail his style and tone) and Tony Thompson is a fave drummer who had a brilliant hi-hat technique. This clip contains BE's famous 'chucking' technique, something which I still struggle to get quite right.

I love that you’ve chosen a Top of The Pops video to demonstrate how good BE was 😂

I have to say that the bassists mentioned are all top players. I am trying to find a name that would fill the bill, but there are so many that are serious session players without flashy solos... My choice is those not heard or seen, but doing their best to make any song groove.

I know, the list is endless.

12 minutes ago, itu said:

I have to say that the bassists mentioned are all top players. I am trying to find a name that would fill the bill, but there are so many that are serious session players without flashy solos... My choice is those not heard or seen, but doing their best to make any song groove.

I know, the list is endless.

Exactly. The list is endless and there is no tp 100 for each. Every one can find the better one or 2nd, but You can find a person and reason what gave YOU the inspiration and joy to play this instrument the way You preffer and sound You like ! This is no list !

Edited by nilorius
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, nilorius said:

Exactly. The list is endless and there is no tp 100 for each. Every one can find the better one or 2nd, but You can find a person and reason what gave YOU the inspiration and joy to play this instrument the way You preffer and sound You like ! This is no list !

Indeed, I wanted to avoid list making hence why I said just ONE nom cos often when one decides to do something it's usually down to one event or person. For me it's when I heard Le Freak

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Like 1

Only one choice, got to be mick Karn the guy was not only a fabulous fretless player but he was a showman too (that stage shuffle in the second clip)

I hate to call people genius but that dude could play a bass line to a track that you’d not think of in your lifetime 😄

• Like 9