Why become a member? Ɨ

Ampeg V4BH / SVT CL..

VTypeV4

I feel I've been a long time contributer to this wonderful corner of the internet - nearly 11 years if I'm not mistaken. To me, this site is still the best place to chat bass. šŸ¤£ Most of my posts are waxing lyrical about the virtues of those old green / grey / black boxes emblazened with the words 'Trace' and 'Elliot' and I get even more excited if they have those magical, glowing glass bottles in them. Talk of mixing consoles, outboard gear and mixing are sometimes equally up lifting too..Ā 

Ā 

Enough of my indulgence, anyways - I want to talk Ampeg.Ā šŸ˜ƒ

Ā 

At the studio, I'm expanding our range of amplification and whilst my Trace 400SMX and associated cabs have done the lions share of the work (and continue to do a great jpb) since I moved into the Sun Street building, I want an Ampeg setup. I foolishly hesitated on a V4BH a few weeks back but am keeping an eye out for SVT CL too..

Ā 

My question is, are the V4BH and SVT CL tonally similar? I'm aware they have the same pre-amp and that main difference is the output stage. The power deficit isn't an issue - I've gigged with 60w (just about) and have also used my Fender Bassman 135 on many an occasion too - it's the character that is more important. I don't much fancy the current re-issue V4 or SVT VR nor do I like the idea of the 350 / 450 or hybrid models, I'm pretty set on either a V4BH or an SVT CL..

Ā 

Any opinions, experiences or thoughts welcome. šŸ˜ƒ

Just making sure that you realise the Ampeg V4BH was the reissue produced in the late 90ā€™s, the current reissue Ā Ampeg is the V4B. While similar, they are not the same.

I have the Ampeg B15R ( same circuit as the V4BH ) ,and, although I like it, itā€™s not an SVT to my ears.

Edited by Chimike
Added note

3 minutes ago, Chimike said:

Just making sure that you realise the Ampeg V4BH was the reissue produced in the late 90ā€™s, the current reissue Ā Ampeg is the V4B. While similar, they are not the same.

I have the Ampeg B15R ( same circuit as the V4BH ) ,and, although I like it, itā€™s not an SVT to my ears.

Ā 

Hi Mike, I thought the V4BH was the one with the same pre-amp and cosmetics of the SVT CL but with the smaller, 4x 6L6 100w power stage rather than the the 'full fat' 6x 6550 300w?

Ā 

6 hours ago, VTypeV4 said:

Ā 

I'd not considered an SVT 2 - it's an option..Ā 

Theyā€™re a stellar amp. A lot more tone flexibility. Louder. Even better at driven sounds.

Ā 

I may or may not happen to have one for sale in the classified section..

• Like 1

When I had the V4B reissue head the band said it was the best sound they have heard from me, it was good but for a band very overdriven ( great for rock )

It was tough saying goodbye to it but I have the excellent ABM600 and newly arrived GK Legacy and they provide me more tonal optionsĀ 

The V4B is a truly wonderful amp but could do with a bit more clean headroom for live workĀ 

I had the SVT CL in the past and was never pushed as it was too loudĀ 

Ideally a 200w version would be niceĀ 

Edited by BassAdder27

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/07/2022 at 04:25, VTypeV4 said:

but with the smaller, 4x 6L6 100w power stageĀ 

just for accuracy; the tube is a 6L6GC. If you tried a real 6L6, which is a wartime output tube in a metal envelope, Ā it would melt very quickly. I'm just pointing out that the letters after the type are important. Ā :)

• Like 1

The V4BH often gets confused with the V4B but is nothing like it really. It was, as has been said, a 90s "SVT lookalike" but I don't think it sounded anything like one.

Ā 

I remember them as being pretty underpowered, even for a 100w valve amp. I didn't like the power amp breakup at all on the one I tried - very farty. Tonally, I thought it was closer to a B15 if you didn't crank it too much.

23 hours ago, NAS Bass said:

The V4BH often gets confused with the V4B but is nothing like it really. It was, as has been said, a 90s "SVT lookalike" but I don't think it sounded anything like one.

Ā 

I remember them as being pretty underpowered, even for a 100w valve amp. I didn't like the power amp breakup at all on the one I tried - very farty. Tonally, I thought it was closer to a B15 if you didn't crank it too much.

Ā 

Ā 

Thanks for the info but I went for a 'full fat' variety in the end anyways. šŸ’Æ

• 5 months later...
7 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Out of interest @VTypeV4Ā how are you getting on with it

Ā 

Very well, thanks. šŸ˜ƒ

Ā 

It's seen a fair few hours use at the studio now and pretty much everyone loves it - it's outright replaced the Fender Bassman (although I appreciate they're not the same thing) and sees just as much use if not more than the SMX Trace Elliot.

Ā 

On a personal level, I absolutely love the setup as I feel it exaggerates the character of whatever instrument you plug into it. Obviously, some EQ tweaks help with this too. With a passive Jazz, it's pretty oldskool but offers plenty of note definition and just enough 'ping' from the HF component without being overly harsh, the Warwick is instant anger and low-mid growl (think Rage Against the Machine) - it's almost a shame I'm not that sort of player! The biggest surprise for me is with the Status as it becomes thoroughly modern and surprisingly tight and is far from the one trick pony I expected. The only thing I would change (other than it's weight) would be to add a compressor although I sometimes use by Digitech Dual band compressor pedal when I feel it's needed.Ā 

Ā 

It was a purchase I'm genuinely pleased with and continues to earn it's keep so I'm very happy, overall. It's been 100% reliable too. ā¤ļø

Ā 

20 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Apart from SVT-CL of course šŸ˜€

Ā  Ā 

Absolutely!

Ā 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1