Why become a member? ×

Rick Beato on 'intermittent tinnitus'

Happy Jack

Intermittent? Wow, that sounds dreamy!  Constant ear screaming, white noise and a low level hum that sounds like a car left running outside is my daily soundtrack.

I like Rick, I’ll give his video a watch.

Good of him to give attention to his (and many of ours) affliction!

My tinnitus was the reason I retrained in to the audiology field.

He mentions how loud it sounds. The experience of sound is created in the hearing center of the brain. The last step sound travels to your consciousness. It's usually only a few dB above your hearing level but as it's added last you'll hear it over loud 'outside' sounds. The loudness required to drown out the tinnitus is not the same as the loudness òf the tinnitus.

It is a son of a beach to learn to live with.

According to the American Tinnitus Association, "Tinnitus may be the brain's way of filling in the missing sound frequencies it no longer receives from the auditory system"

https://www.ata.org/understanding-facts/causes

Another article which again mentions the above said that "tinnitus is the brain trying, but failing, to repair itself"

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/01/110112122504.htm

So if lower pitches are affected then our tinnitus sounds will be of a lower pitch. Same for higher pitches. 

I'm lucky in that most of the time it's background noise that I tune out. Sooner a cure/treatment is found the better especially for those much worse off than myself whose sleep is affected.

Edited by TheLowDown

6 hours ago, TheLowDown said:

"Tinnitus may be the brain's way of filling in the missing sound frequencies it no longer receives from the auditory system"

6 hours ago, TheLowDown said:

So if lower pitches are affected then our tinnitus sounds will be of a lower pitch. Same for higher pitches. 

Sounds right for me, there's a certain pitch to my background tinnitus and it's around the same one I have trouble hearing. If I speak to the wrong person it's like they're moving the volume knob left and right while talking as some of their words go in and out of that range.

7 hours ago, TheLowDown said:

In practice this happens often but as Beato says it's sometimes transposed to different pitches or sounds. Some people hear drilling, or think it's the neighbour's washing machine, or an airplane spooling before take-off.

Tinnitus also occurs without hearing damage, often to highly sensitive people or people who have filtering deficiency (possibly somewhere in the ADHD/ADD or autism spectrum, even if very lightly).

10 hours ago, TheLowDown said:

According to the American Tinnitus Association, "Tinnitus may be the brain's way of filling in the missing sound frequencies it no longer receives from the auditory system"

https://www.ata.org/understanding-facts/causes

Another article which again mentions the above said that "tinnitus is the brain trying, but failing, to repair itself"

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/01/110112122504.htm

I'm lucky in that most of the time it's background noise that I tune out. Sooner a cure/treatment is found the better especially for those much worse off than myself whose sleep is affected.

My hearing tests suggest I have a dip at 4Khz (which isn't that uncommon anyway) but, using my test gear here, my loudest, most predominant tinnitus also sits at around 4Khz, so that might be right or purely coincidental. 

Audiologists have in some cases found that using hearing aids that fill in what's missing from a sufferers hearing can help to alleviate the effects of Tinnitus. (That is, a hearing aid that only amplifies what the ear is having trouble hearing, normal ambient sounds can pass through the ear canal as normal). My last Audiologist used hearing aids for this very reason and was able to noticeably mask the tinnitus effects of his time shooting guns. *I hope my understanding is correct and it's a path I am going to follow to test the theory myself. 

I don't understand how anyone can be playing in bands for any length of time and have no tinnitus at all.

Rick Beato's "complete silence" is something I've not experienced for more than 30 years. I also don't get the "intermittent" bit. That's no tinnitus I've ever heard of.

I wish I'd discovered ACS moulded ear plugs 20 years earlier!!