Why become a member? ×

Ampeg/Bergantino rig pics!

G-bitch

Can't wait to get it home and hook up the V4!! I also got a Baja tech volume control for the Ampeg too which I haven't tried yet ([url="http://www.bajatechcustom.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=65"]http://www.bajatechcustom.com/catalog/prod...?products_id=65[/url]) thankfully I don't have any plans this evening.

Also, I've just sorted my replacement pedalboard (Fulltone bassdrive, Keeley Modded RAT, Crowther prunes & custard, Korg tuner all through a Loooper) - just need to hook it all up together and then my entire rig is sorted!

I knew there was a good reason to replace my broken camera at the weekend :)

So, 20 minutes into widdling and I swap the cab over for the guy just picking up my old one to hear and I blow a frigging fuse!

Trip to Maplins this lunch time - can't believe I had no spare fuses!

Take two this evening (thank god my girlfriend is out the country).

She rides! Sounds friggin' amazing - gone from a fair bit of eq to next to just a little bass and mid boost. Cracking. Also sounds great with OD and distortion. It cost one hell of a lot of money but I don't anticipate ever needing anything else. Going to try and pick up an old Peavey T-Max as a backup head though just in case the 30 year old Ampeg ever shits it on me.

Depends if you want loud/clean or can live with a little power amp valve saturation (not distorted as such, just a little edge to it and slightly compressed sounding). If you want super loud [i]and[/i] super clean then forget about it, otherwise they're as loud, if not louder, than anything I've owned before.

I don't want to make too many direct comparisons with amps I've had in the past as they've all been used with different cabs, but I'll try and rationalise my impressions with similar speaker configs:

Mesa/Boogie D-180 through Glockenklang Quattro. Louder, but this is proabably the cab more than .

Various pre-amps into (Sansamp PSA-1, Yamaha PB1, BDDI pedalboard direct) Matrix STR1500 1500w power amp bridged into Glockenklang Quattro. Would compete but not be as clean. Seriously.

Peavey T-max through SWR Bigfoot 2x12 and Peavey 210txf (getting 500w out of the head). Louder.

It's probably best to simply ignore the power rating on any valve amp and just give it a blast. I'd say it was more than enough for your average arena show (goes down to 2 ohms so you could use two 810s).

Offer still stands for a test run here in Brum.

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='52763' date='Aug 30 2007, 01:20 PM']So that's a 120w ampeg then? How loud is it, I've been thinking of getting one but I'm worried it won't be loud enough.

Any info you can give mate would be excellent.

Cheers[/quote]

A -salesman- told me that to get a valve/SS comparison you times the valve by 3.3 to get its SS equivalent.

I wasn't buying any valve gear at the time though. Can anyone back that up/argue?

[quote name='paul, the' post='52965' date='Aug 30 2007, 07:43 PM']A -salesman- told me that to get a valve/SS comparison you times the valve by 3.3 to get its SS equivalent.
I wasn't buying any valve gear at the time though. Can anyone back that up/argue?[/quote]

Far, far too many variables to even use that as a rule of thumb.