Why become a member? ×

New Gibson thunderbird

bassfrost

1 hour ago, bassfrost said:

I've got the new Gibson thunderbird and I love it but it's not the right guitar for the britpop band I'm in. Do in sell it or play it?

Not the right guitar?  Says who?

There is no right guitar unless you're in a strict tribute band.  Crack on, I say.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, bassfrost said:

I've got the new Gibson thunderbird and I love it but it's not the right guitar for the britpop band I'm in. Do in sell it or play it?

Play it for god's sake, you will regret it if you sell it, also I agree with @neepheid there is no reason you can't play a thunderbird in a britpop band

• Like 2

Just play whatever you enjoy the most, I wouldn't worry about any 'rules' around what basses work for specific genres. Although if it helps and you do think about these sorts of things, the bassists from Ash and Placebo both used Thunderbirds. Problem solved!

Oh, one more thing.......

Give us pics of your t'bird!! ☺️

Edited by Jonesy
  • Like 2

I saw Scouting For Girls a few years ago and was really surprised to see that the bass player had switched from the Fender Jazz he had used before to a Gibson Thunderbird. I immediately thought that it wouldn't work. But it did ... looked good and sounded great.

5 hours ago, Jonesy said:

Just play whatever you enjoy the most, I wouldn't worry about any 'rules' around what basses work for specific genres. Although if it helps and you do think about these sorts of things, the bassists from Ash and Placebo both used Thunderbirds. Problem solved!

Oh, one more thing.......

Give us pics of your t'bird!! ☺️

I was going to say, the dude from Ash used a Thunderbird.

• Like 2

I was in Camden a lot in the mid 90s and I would say the Thunderbird isn't wrong. The Musicman and both Fender P / J were the most popular generally in any Britpop band but generally it was just classic / iconic instruments. A BC Rich would be the wrong look but there were certainly Rics, Gibsons and Hofners too. Later day Oasis were using the non reverse T-bird and I am sure I remember bands like Elastica with Thunderbirds at times. The Firebird guitar equivalent certainly cropped up a lot. Unless someone in your band is really cracking the whip, I don't see it as an issue. Especially as you have said you love the bass. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cat Burrito said:

I was in Camden a lot in the mid 90s and I would say the Thunderbird isn't wrong. The Musicman and both Fender P / J were the most popular generally in any Britpop band but generally it was just classic / iconic instruments. A BC Rich would be the wrong look but there were certainly Rics, Gibsons and Hofners too. Later day Oasis were using the non reverse T-bird and I am sure I remember bands like Elastica with Thunderbirds at times. The Firebird guitar equivalent certainly cropped up a lot. Unless someone in your band is really cracking the whip, I don't see it as an issue. Especially as you have said you love the bass. 

If they are cracking the whip, pick holes in their gear and then tell them to do one. I think the classic quirkyness of the T’Bird is perfect for your chosen genre.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Jonesy said:

the bassists from Ash and Placebo both used Thunderbirds. Problem solved!

....and also Nicky Wire and Stove king of The Manics and Mansun respectively. A different genre The Bass player in The Specials plays one. Like Jonesy says there's no rules, if you like the bass and the sound it makes, go with it.

• 8 months later...
On 02/07/2022 at 08:45, Bix said:

I saw Scouting For Girls a few years ago and was really surprised to see that the bass player had switched from the Fender Jazz he had used before to a Gibson Thunderbird. I immediately thought that it wouldn't work. But it did ... looked good and sounded great.

I worked with the wife of the drummer.  When word got around that I played bass, suggestion went that I should have a word with her as her husband played drums.  All in all, that went very well.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Bassist from Freddie and the Dreamers used one too (probably the most untypical performance with a Thunderbird you'll ever see):

Thanks for reminding me.

Watched it just a few weeks ago and didn't remember.