Why become a member? ×

The Wal that’s in the Band Aid video… up for sale…

TrevorR

Yours for just shy of £12k!

So John ‘Rhino’ Edward’s from Status Quo is selling off a load of his bass collection. Including his Wal. Quite a special Wal…

Wal MK1 (ex-Rhino) Live AID bass: https://thebassgallery.com/collections/all/products/wal-mk1-ex-rhino-live-aids-bass

43E474A8-C0BF-4774-AF94-5F2559E484AE.thumb.png.f953d68d133fbf71831e9c45a8503b37.png

Why special? It’s the Wal played on the Band Aid “Do They Know It’s Christmas” video by John Taylor of Duran Duran!!! A quick look at the distinctive flaming on the upper horn pretty much seals it! Wow!! Just WOW!!!

9963678B-42FB-4967-9BED-9EAC85744DA9.thumb.png.55f5e210ae555d0b05f1bd6957abf2fc.png
D37C5540-D3A6-42B4-AE93-C78DAB93B238.thumb.png.fdce26befe212bdfb229a860c0b3404a.png

B207D63C-3F72-4958-B8D6-C64BA72FDC7B.thumb.jpeg.ae08221e88aa08d796f6e21b8f7bbfcf.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, thodrik said:

If it was given to him at Live Aid in 1985 then he wouldn’t have had it for the ‘Do They Know It’s Christmas?’ video shoot in 1984. 

John Taylor played it then (and presumably) owned it. He subsequently gave it to John at Live Aid.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

John Taylor played it then (and presumably) owned it. He subsequently gave it to John at Live Aid.

John edwards didn’t play with status quo at live aid it was Alan Lancaster, John joined later when they ‘reformed’ after the live aid exposure. 

So unless Judie Tzuke played I’m not sure he was in any lineup although I guess he could have been there as an observer. 
I’m not sure John Taylor ever owned it unless he took it from the studios they recorded the single in. I was led to believe it was loaned to the studios by Wal for the recording 

Edited by Bunion

11 hours ago, Bunion said:

Hmm seems to have completely changed colour too I don’t believe it’s the same bass, the flame is close but no cigar 

That finish was achieved by chemically treating the wood ( sycamore or maple). Over time it turned out that the finish discolours. A lot of the lighter stains like the one on the bass Martin Kemp used at Live Aid have taken on a greenish tinge. ( Last I heard that bass belonged to Iggy Pop's bass player back in the early 1990s).

Edited by Misdee
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Bunion said:

John edwards didn’t play with status quo at live aid it was Alan Lancaster, John joined later when they ‘reformed’ after the live aid exposure.

So unless Judie Tzuke played I’m not sure he was in any lineup although I guess he could have been there as an observer. 
I’m not sure John Taylor ever owned it unless he took it from the studios they recorded the single in. I was led to believe it was loaned to the studios by Wal for the recording 

John edwards didn’t play with status quo at live aid it was Alan Lancaster, John joined later when they ‘reformed’ after the live aid exposure. Correct. I never said he did.

I guess he could have been there as an observer. - Genius. Yes, he could. Quite a few thousand others made it.

2 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

Genius. Yes, he could. Quite a few thousand others made it.

Well state the obvious, that wouldn’t automatically give access to be backstage and casually have a bass handed over to him would it. 

On 02/07/2022 at 11:47, Ricky Rioli said:

Where can I buy John Taylor's Duran Duran sweatshirt, pls?

It's from the Arena tour, may be a few about on eBay etc. 

I thought there was a rule against wearing your own band merch?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

You know what they say about rules?... 🤷🏻‍♂️

Joe and Joey delved into their respective band's merch supplies. 

#nolaundrytilbrooklyn

Jimage.thumb.png.898f8514b6d5d45dbe9d0d56d00bad2c.pngimage.png.af0402be4e748f6439d147267523861a.png

Edited by denki109
  • Like 1

I had the pleasure of meeting Rhino at the Bass Centre many years ago. He was incredibly affable and clearly loved to rocking over all over the world with Quo. 

As he seemed to be a bit of a gear geek (as most of us in this parish are), I reckon the gear shifting may sadly have something to do with.....

image.thumb.png.e82facbc20dcdbddde4383f9003ab416.png + image.thumb.png.97a6261d6137351ec3ccfd1403c7c6fe.png

Edited by denki109
  • Like 1

It seems that Francis Rossi is spending most of his time next year doing a spoken word/question and answer tour so maybe they are cutting back on the quo gigs?

Lets face it, the last couple of years haven`t been the best money wise for pro musicians so maybe he needs the cash. 

18 hours ago, denki109 said:

I had the pleasure of meeting Rhino at the Bass Centre many years ago. He was incredibly affable and clearly loved to rocking over all over the world with Quo. 

As he seemed to be a bit of a gear geek (as most of us in this parish are), I reckon the gear shifting may sadly have something to do with.....

image.thumb.png.e82facbc20dcdbddde4383f9003ab416.png + 

After over two decades of freelancing, I forgot to tell HMRC last year that I was no longer in the SA scheme. As such, when I went 9-5 during the 2020 phase of the Pandemic I failed to complete a return for 2020-21 financial year. Back in March, I got the dreaded brown envelope. I had foolishly assumed that HMRC would see in in regular employment and change my tax code and status, Nuh-uh. Unfortunately, when I looked at the letter it was the announcement of applying a penalty, with a charge of £100 per day until it was resolved! I immediately jumped on to my Gateway and wrote to them, explaining my error. Unbelievably. they basically said. 'Ok, you forget; we won't penalise you' Lucky escape! I hope this hasn't happened to John.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, NikNik said:

After over two decades of freelancing, I forgot to tell HMRC last year that I was no longer in the SA scheme. As such, when I went 9-5 during the 2020 phase of the Pandemic I failed to complete a return for 2020-21 financial year. Back in March, I got the dreaded brown envelope. I had foolishly assumed that HMRC would see in in regular employment and change my tax code and status, Nuh-uh. Unfortunately, when I looked at the letter it was the announcement of applying a penalty, with a charge of £100 per day until it was resolved! I immediately jumped on to my Gateway and wrote to them, explaining my error. Unbelievably. they basically said. 'Ok, you forget; we won't penalise you' Lucky escape! I hope this hasn't happened to John.

I was self employed for a number of years. Never ignore any letters from the HMRC. Usually they are fine to deal with but not too interested if times are tough! If you can't pay ....sell your granny!

Without wishing to muddy the waters, I seem to remember that Overwater claim it was one of their basses that was featured on the actual recording of Do They Know It's Christmas? 

This bass is incontrovertibly the one played by John Taylor in the video, but if Overwater are correct then it's not necessarily on the final version of the song. I seem to remember Chris May was at the recording studio on the day. It's all getting to be a long time ago so forgive me if I am wrong, but I have got a definite recollection that Overwater promotional literature used to mention this accolade amongst their other achievements.

Edited by Misdee