Why become a member? ×

NBD... Squire 40th Jazz Bass.. Gold Edition..

bubinga5

Well nearly got it.. Was initially looking at a P Bass but there just not my thing tonally.  So looked for a 4 string Jazz to go with my Atelier 5 without spending £thousands.. This fits the bill. Have heard great things in as much as build quality etc. Didn't want to mod it, just pick it up and play.. I really like gold and white, not sure about the gold pick guard so will change that out for a dark brown tort maybe.

I think these may be sought after in years to come maybe.? . Ill take it to rehearsal and see how it sounds through the Aguilar.. 😎

fullsizeoutput_393.jpeg

Edited by bubinga5
  • Like 25

I looks good - I wouldn't be buying one in the hope that they'll be sought after in the future (they won't) but as a fun cheapy they look decent. 

I've got a gold pick guard on my P - thought I'd hate my thumb nail touching that texture but I've had it for years now and the gold just feels right & has never been a problem! 

48 minutes ago, Lw. said:

I looks good - I wouldn't be buying one in the hope that they'll be sought after in the future (they won't) but as a fun cheapy they look decent. 

I've got a gold pick guard on my P - thought I'd hate my thumb nail touching that texture but I've had it for years now and the gold just feels right & has never been a problem! 

Ah ok, ill take your knowledge on board..  I didnt though. I bought it to play it.

Edited by bubinga5

11 hours ago, Lw. said:

What are these made of? I had a gold pickguard on a fender acoustic and it was just flimsier plastic than most pickguards. I'm intrigued by this "anodised gold" business.

1 hour ago, uk_lefty said:

What are these made of? I had a gold pickguard on a fender acoustic and it was just flimsier plastic than most pickguards. I'm intrigued by this "anodised gold" business.

They're a solid sheet of aluminium (I guess), similar thickness to the normal pick guards but with 90 degree edges rather than beveled. They have a visibly brushed finish that I thought would feel horrible but actually doesn't. 

Think I prefer them to plastic now, I'd assume you can get them anodised any colour you want too. 

• Like 2

On 01/07/2022 at 20:25, bubinga5 said:

Well nearly got it.. Was initially looking at a P Bass but there just not my thing tonally.  So looked for a 4 string Jazz to go with my Atelier 5 without spending £thousands.. This fits the bill. Have heard great things in as much as build quality etc. Didn't want to mod it, just pick it up and play.. I really like gold and white, not sure about the gold pick guard so will change that out for a dark brown tort maybe.

I think these may be sought after in years to come maybe.? Got it fairly cheap too. Ill take it to rehearsal and see how it sounds through the Aguilar.. 😎

fullsizeoutput_393.jpeg

Can we have a review please 🙂

10 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

Anyone know what strings Squire ship their basses with.?

Fender Nickel Plated Steel I believe.  45 - 105.   Do yours have the coloured ball ends, red, green, silver and brass?  These are the usual Fender colours.

• Like 1

I think these may be sought after in years to come maybe.? Got it fairly cheap too. Ill take it to rehearsal and see how it sounds through the Aguilar.. 😎

fullsizeoutput_393.jpeg

Am really not a fan of blocks but I think you're correct: these will become collectible.  

Are these medium scale??

Edited by NikNik
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, neepheid said:

It is well known that I don't like Jazz basses but that one looks like it's made of the various types of chocolate (and Caramac).  Probably best I don't get one - I might eat it by mistake :)

Enjoy!

Ha ha, after seeing your post on the 40th anniversary Precisions I went and had a look at them, the above bass popped up and I instantly went, "Crikey that's lovely!" 

Then noticed it was a Jazz and went, "I don't like Jazz basses." 

It's still lovely though. 

Soooo. Had a rehearsal with the Jazz and I can't fault it really.  weight is around 9 pounds. Feels good. doesn't feel cheap at all. I will say it doesn't feel like a really expensive bass but it doesn't feel like a cheap one either.. Tuners are rock solid, controls are smooth.. the sound is what struck me.. Sounds like a great jazz bass, and the pickups are really clear, fat and punchy, and I mean REALLY fat and punchy.. I. .. I would say the tone of it is probably one of my favourite jazz bass tones and it where this bass really shines. Way fatter than my old Suhr, possibly because its a 60's position bass and the Suhr was 70's.?..

Neck is a really nice C shape. No single coil hum at all which surprised me.. With all that said on really close inspection the frets are a little messy, with a tiny bit of glue spotted. and the fret ends aren't perfect. The neck pocket is tight but not perfect.  But hey this is a sub £400 bass and I can live with that. 

All in all this is a great workhorse jazz bass, sounds amazing and growly when dug in, really comfortable, lovely neck. no brainer.

0-1.jpeg

0.jpeg

0-2.jpeg

293038350_1642515939464557_549222427785189315_n.jpg

Edited by bubinga5
  • Like 9

fullsizeoutput_393.jpeg

That's a stunner 

Looks good - I was almost tempted by the Fender Diamond Aniversary jazz bass in gold that guitarguitar had at £599, but wasn't sure about the gold, they didn't last long. 

I do like the colour on this but every time I think about these things I have to remember that I have had several jazz basses and sold them all!

• Like 1

I bought one of these last week, but sent it back due to poor QC.

Dark streak under the finish, the bass was coated in some weird orangey substance from manufacture and the tone control didn't work. How it passed inspection is beyond me. It also had some chipping in the neck pocket paint.

Beautiful looking thing though. Sounded absolutely incredbile. The grain on the indian laurel fretboard was stunning. Bizarrely the frets on mine were probably the best finished I've seen on any brand new bass I've owned!

Damn shame really. Took a refund instead.

Edited by 40hz
  • Sad 1