Why become a member? ×

July Composition Challenge

lurksalot

Well June was a hotly contested challenge, to the extent that it would be quicker to list those that didn't win it :D

Nevertheless congratulations are due to @Dad3353 @Leonard Smalls @Nail Soup and @skankdelvar  for their most excellent compositions.

As it’s his first win, the honour of picture choosing has fallen to Nail Soup , who has offered the following .....

"Its a small ornament I saw on holiday in the hotel lobby"   

image.png.08f42ffb79fcaad70b5206b2ecab26f3.png

Simple rules 

✔️ Entries must be <5 minutes and recorded this month.

✖️ No illegal samples, copyright infringements or other snide goings-on

✖️ No Bagpipes. please no bagpipes, the summer solstice truce has just gone over . panpipes only if you have too.

✖️ No voting for your own entry. We'll know. And we'll shame you.

A line or two offering an insight to your inspiration/track choice will be good as well , it works nicely on the voting thread.

The Deadline for entries is Midnight on Sunday 24th July

good luck everyone 

Edited by lurksalot
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5

Here is my contribution to the July 2022 Basschat Composition Challenge, inspired by a picture chosen by one of the previous winners: Nail Soup.
Passing on the Message, from generation to generation, as has been done for generations past, and will continue for generations to come.
Simplisism, with the Mother Tuba encouraging the Baby French Horn to have confidence, to follow, then lead, staying synchronised, all the while having great fun..! There's a lesson there for us all to learn, maybe..?
Four Kontakt tracks (two for each, to extend the playing range of the instruments...), hard panned. No treatment, other than my standard Reaper NY Glue on the Master tracks, as usual.
Thanks for listening, if you already have; if you're about to, enjoy.

• Like 5

You know how it is when you nip off to the bathroom to drop the kids off at the pool?

Then no-one apart from you can go back in there because of the stench of death?

Well I've rolled mine in both glitter and hundreds and thousands plus 3 coats of varnish and 1 of clear resin, and I can still barely listen to the whole thing!

You guys are going to enjoy this!

Here is my contribution to the Basschat Composition Challenge, inspired by the picture chosen by one of last month's winners Nail Soup (with hearty congratulations to the rest of the winners circle too... Dad3353, Leonard Smalls and Skankdelvar).

The image spoke to me of circus tricks, which in turn tickled my sinister bone. There's always been something about circuses that makes me uneasy, and I've always had a sense that behind the thin veneer of spectacular glitz and glamour there's probably rampant animal cruelty, violent, alcoholic clowns, and all sorts of dodginess. ... this idea of the sideshows distracting us from hideous goings on, naturally led me to draw comparisons with dodginess going on behind the curtain while we watch amazed at the current shitshow.

Tech wise... Recorded in Cubase Elephants 10. MT Drums. EUB straight into the interface, and an old Westbury Standard through the Helix. All additional instruments are the bundled Cubase VSTs, and the samples came from Looperman. Vocals treated with Waves Audio CLA Vocals.

• Like 3

This month I done a song about Infinite Regress, which is where in an infinite series of entities, each entity depends entirely on the existence of the previous entity. This is often illustrated by the idea that the world is supported on a turtle, which is in turn supported by another turtle. So how far do these turtles go? All the way down.

But every fool knows it's hippos, not turtles! Hence, we have this achingly beautiful melody: (good luck ☠️)

For those that need to know, apart from drums programmed in EZ drummer, everything else is a Wal bass through various Line6 Helix FX. Obviously not the train and the robin; train was from Freesound, robin was in my garden just itchin' to be a rockstar.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

This month I done a song about Infinite Regress, which is where in an infinite series of entities, each entity depends entirely on the existence of the previous entity. This is often illustrated by the idea that the world is supported on a turtle, which is in turn supported by another turtle. So how far do these turtles go? All the way down.

But every fool knows it's hippos, not turtles! Hence, we have this achingly beautiful melody: (good luck ☠️)

For those that need to know, apart from drums programmed in EZ drummer, everything else is a Wal bass through various Line6 Helix FX. Obviously not the train and the robin; train was from Freesound, robin was in my garden just itchin' to be a rockstar.

I’m sitting in the corner of a little pub/hotel on my own with no-one in sight , fields all around the pub , and no other buildings for miles , but I’m still scared to play it in case someone hears it 

😉

Edited by lurksalot

As it happens , on the journey down , lurksalittle insisted on doing her vocal warm up exercises, so I insisted on joining in. I should therefore, be able to warble a beautiful tune on my return , whether my recording technique can capture its full beauty, I’m not sure , but I’ll put it front of mix for you all 🤘

• Thanks 1

OK then, I have enlisted the help and vocal skills of Fat Harry White , the Hippo of Luuurve , and he is on form let me tell you :lol:

Technical , well not much , but Ibby six string and Gordon Richards bass through some waves GTR3 patches, EZdrummer and a bit of piano for fun. Vocals all by Fat Harry himself :sun_bespectacled:

• Like 3

On 09/07/2022 at 19:07, Leonard Smalls said:

Be afraid! But I'm actually able to listen all the way through without vomiting now...

excellent , but that would take some rehearsing to play at a gig , well , if it was to be accurate :D 

Ed to add .... I thought it was too long and way past 5mins .... then I realised I had repeated it a couple of times :facepalm:

Edited by lurksalot

1 hour ago, lurksalot said:

that would take some rehearsing to play at a gig

Indeed... Cos it's 4 or 5 basses all played only once without any plan (never!), and with all the other tracks apart from click (not that you'd guess!) turned off. I could send you tabs for it though if you're keen 😁

And I have no idea how you managed to play it through twice without murdering someone...

• Haha 1

I'm in.  Band jam on Wednesday & decided to try something to fit the pic.  Drummer on drums, Guitarist on guitar, Pianist on clarinet & me on the Roli (intro sound) & bass.  It was fun.

I give you Hippo toe to toe at the hippodrome - Toe Toe

Just updated, so it may not show until later.  In the meantime, here's the link...
https://soundcloud.com/feintmotions/hippo-toe-to-toe-at-the-hippodrome-toe-toe

Edited by xgsjx
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, xgsjx said:

...I give you Hippo toe to toe at the hippodrome - Toe Toe

What a coincidence. I've been listening to, and trying to play, a ToeToe track (Rosanna...) on drums. Jeff Pocaro himself, so I'm very far from even a pale imitation, but it's fascinating to see just how splendidly talented that fellow was. I've a couple of decades before me to get some semblance of the hi-hat interplay with the snare ghost notes, after which I may try the bass drum, and maybe the snare rim shots. Wow..! What a player..! Respect; mucho mucho respect. B|

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, lurksalot said:

Has anybody checked that young Jeff me Lad is happy to be in this month’s challenge , I mean , he’s alright but ......

😁

If you want to ask the lad if he is happy to enter the challenge this month, you will have to ask him via Mystic Meg...

👍

😂

Edited by lowdown
  • Like 1