Why become a member? ×

Ampeg Classic Analog Bass Preamp

Davy

I've never really used pedals before apart from a Zoom B4, which I used to replace my backline with an in-ear setup and it sounded great but it had way more effects and settings than I ever needed so I ended up selling it on.

I've been using my backline(TC BH500 head and TC RS212 cab) ever since but now I'm thinking about buying a very simple preamp pedal to use direct into the mixing desk with my in-ears for monitoring for certain venues.

I'm thinking about buying an Ampeg classic analog bass preamp pedal as I've tried an Ampeg SCR-DI pedal before and really liked it(headphone use only).

My main question is, has anyone tried one of these before direct into the desk and if so, how did it sound through the PA?

I appreciate that it only has a jack output rather than an XLR but the Zoom B4 was jack only and I never found that a problem.

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/07/2022 at 21:36, jezzaboy said:

Somebody may have a SCR DI up for sale for a decent price shortly....:ph34r:

Alright I confess, it`s me! Don`t worry I have paid my subs

2nd this, sounds like SCR DI is they way to go. Basically an SVT in a DI box. My guitarist has one and I've used it enough live/rehersal and in the studio to be happy with it for a one box solution. I'd take it over the Ampeg pre all day long especially on the second hand market.

I've recorded it side by side with my Ampeg PF50T (transformer DI) and it holds it's own agianst it. It's an ampeg DI box, so if that's the tone you are after then it's a great tool. There are plenty of other DI/Pres out that there that all ahve their merit but art differing price points.