Why become a member? ×

How many bass players on here also play trombone or thought about it ?

funkgod

just a thought from another post someone mentioned, it does seem quite a few bass players either started on trombone and went to bass or started on bass and went to trombone.

i know a few on here play bone as well.

for me i started on bass guitar and trombone came much later,

of all i talk to who play bass and trombone it seems like a natural progression either way,

it must be a low end kinship.

i now love playing trombone, im nowhere near where i want to be im good enough to do all the parts on my songs,

but i now do wish i had started earlier.

For those who have thought about giving it a go, i would say do it, for the most im sure you will love it.

so... how many of you play bone as well, and while we are at it how many have thought of giving it a go ?

When I was in school, probably about 9 in 1979, I wanted to play trombone and spoke to my parents and music teacher about it. Music teacher told my parents I'll never make a musician as I don't have a musical bone in my body. Quite pleased that I proved him very wrong.

• Like 2

I couldn't possibly admit to playing the trombone, just as i won't admit to playing the bass.  I took lessons from the age of 11 and played(?) in the school orchestra for several years. I  just made in-tune sounds at the correct moments in the score. 

Eventually at the age of about 15 I was consumed by the dark side having listened to too much Radio Luxembourg and Saturday Club.  My brief affair with the trombone was over and the lifelong passion for the bass began.  One day I'll learn to read music and play it properly but time is running out. 😉

• Like 1

In my last band the trombonist was an excellent bass player. I found this out just after joining the 

band when we used to split the 8 piece up into two sets of four players on long gigs (where 

we played endless background sets). He was brilliant! Made me try and up my game a bit,

but never could equal his talent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frank Blank said:

If I had a time machine and could go back and choose an instrument in my youth to learn it would be the trombone and that's mainly down to Rico Rodriguez and...

Thats cool 🙂 we all need a flash point.

mine was nils Landgren, loved that band, i was playing in a funk band doing more than a few of his songs

you know how it is, you obsess and i ended up getting everything by him, and then when magnum Coltrane price joined as much as i envy Lars Danielsson as a top bass player that band then with magnum seem to spark something and i wanted to play trombone, must of just been seeping through all them years, plus my friend i was in the funk band with was a top bone player using wah wah and all sorts tom foolery. also the necessity of asking brass players to play on my tracks, in the end i just thought "how hard can it be, get a bone and find the notes" so i did, so i think thats where it all began with me, with nils,

• Like 1

I've never played one, but with playing in various orchestras, obviously encounter them a lot. I know from talking to brass players that there is a serious shortage of orchestral trombone players (and tuba) - if you can play, you can get regular paid gigs depping in amateur orchestras on concert day.

Most trombone players I know recommend getting a pBone (they're plastic) to see how you get on with it: they're relatively cheap and remarkably good.  https://www.gear4music.com/Woodwind-Brass-Strings/pBone-Plastic-Trombone-White/QM6

• Thanks 1

For sure I have. The first records I was exposed to were my dad's collection of New Orleans jazz and the trombone was what I fancied most. I took a few lessons when I was 12 but struggled with my embouchure and gave up. Took up playing the alto sax and clarinet instead and I've never looked back. Then many years later I heard At The River by Groove Armada where there's some lovely trombone by one half of the duo, Andy Cato. The trombone solo makes the tune. I thought of taking it up again but didn't really have the time what with other stuff going on

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Like 1

Trombone was my first instrument! I had lessons in primary school. When I got to secondary school they persuaded me onto the Tuba. They told me my embouchure was more suited to tuba - I could never get that bright honky trombone sound. I was never particularly interested in the Tuba, so brass went from being something exciting to something I just "did". A couple of years later this new kid joined the school who played guitar. He needed a bass player, I liked Flea. So I started bass and never looked back.

Later, when I was about 17, I went to a Jazz summer school at the Guildhall. That was run by Scott Stroman, a trombone player (and a bloody good one, as you might imagine.) He played with a really soft tone, not at all honky. I still think about that moment to this day. Maybe I should buy @funkgod's Trombone from the For sale section???

When I was in the first year at secondary school (in the early 70s), we were asked if anyone would like to learn a musical instrument, and if so what? For some reason I decided I'd like to learn the trombone. I had a single "try-out" lesson where the teacher tested to see if I could get a note out of the mouth piece (after a bit a trial and error, I could) and then to see if I could reach the full extension of the slide. I couldn't. That was that. I was told I was too small to play the trombone. Nothing else was suggested like a different instrument that I would be able to play, or a suggestion to come back in a year's time and try again.

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I'd rather play the bagpipes

I can, or could, if I started practicing again. 
But, I fear my neighbours would hate it more than the sound of my badly-played trombone they currently complain about. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, knirirr said:

I can, or could, if I started practicing again. 
But, I fear my neighbours would hate it more than the sound of my badly-played trombone they currently complain about. 

Trombone AND bagpipes, truly the sign of a placatory soul.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I started out on trombone although I wasn’t massively good. I did play with Acker once tho’.

We had another  trombone player who was a lot better so I was given an ultimatum- get a bass or else. And the rest is geography.