Why become a member? ×

Authenticating 1966 Fender P-Bass neck

THE5

Hi all!

I'm on the cusp of buying a lovely old Precision (refin) from a friend, and having had the neck off there's a marking which I'm wondering if anyone has come across before, i.e the big "?" in pen, as per the attached photo.

Is this something to worry about?! I'm just trying to make as certain as possible that it's orig before I buy her.

The date stamp looks good to me, and the fire maple neck feels really lovely. I've also attached a pic of the remaining original pot dated 17th week of '66 (I'm told), which would fit with the stamp on the neck.

Thanks in advance for any help!

IMG_7306.HEIC IMG_7307.HEIC IMG_7308.HEIC IMG_7309.HEIC IMG_7528.HEIC IMG_7529.HEIC

Have you been told it’s original finish? 

Edit - Also, here’s the pots that came on my old one. Note the neater soldering too, which is typical. I wonder if your pot is original and/or desoldered at some point. 

The lacquer line on the back of the neck looks far too neat too, perhaps the head was resprayed and had a new logo?

P1050761.JPG

P1050764.JPG

Edited by Chiliwailer

Thanks @Chiliwailer, appreciate your reply!

It's being sold to me as refinished, and the neck has definitely been sanded at some point to make it a smoother play.

Re. the pot, yes I agree your soldering looks a LOT neater! I guess it must have been re-soldered at some point

• Like 1