Why become a member? ×

Speakon socket problem

Hi all,

I'm using a Vanderkley 212 with a Hartke LH500 head.

The Hartke has jack speaker outputs, and the Vanderkley has Speakon sockets, but these are the type where you can also use a 1/4" jack in them

This works fine using a standard 1/4" to 1/4" speaker cable, but I recently bought a 1/4" jack to Speakon cable and the Speakon plug makes a very poor connection into the Speakon socket in the cab - I can actually make or break the signal just by wiggling the speakon plug.

I assumed that there was a break in the cable near the plug, but I'm now sure it's the Speakon plug and socket which aren't talking to each other reliably.

So, I've reverted to using a standard jack to jack and everything is fine, but the jack to Speakon remains a problem.

I've dismantled the Speakon plug and it all appears in order.

Any ideas?

Thanks

On your cable, is the Speakon plug a genuine Neutrik or a low-cost Chinese copy? There really can be a world of difference in fit and solidity. I've had cheapo Speakons that were indistinguishable from the real thing, but I've also had some dreadful tat recently.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

On your cable, is the Speakon plug a genuine Neutrik or a low-cost Chinese copy? There really can be a world of difference in fit and solidity. I've had cheapo Speakons that were indistinguishable from the real thing, but I've also had some dreadful tat recently.

This and have you locked it in place properly? There is an audible "click" when you twist it in the socket.

• Like 2

Something to remember is:

2-pole Speakon plugs fit 2-pole and 4-pole Speakon sockets

4-pole Speakon plugs ONLY fit 4-pole Speakon sockets.

Combo Speakon sockets are 2-pole and will ONLY take 2-pole Speakon plugs.

• Like 1

Thanks for your replies.

Here are 4 pics of the plug.

It was difficult to take a pic looking down the inside of the plug, so despite what the pic looks like, there are actually two contacts set opposite each other near the tip of the central post, and a further two contacts opposite each other set at 90 deg. to the central post contacts, on the side walls. Then there are also 4 contacts on the inside at the base of the plug.

I've never examined another Speakon plug so I have nothing to compare this with.

Speakon  (1).JPG

Speakon  (2).JPG

Speakon  (4).JPG

Speakon  (5).JPG

Edited by musicbassman

31 minutes ago, musicbassman said:

Thanks for your replies.

Here are 4 pics of the plug.

It was difficult to take a pic looking down the inside of the plug, so despite what the pic looks like, there are actually two contacts set opposite each other near the tip of the central post, and a further two contacts opposite each other set at 90 deg. to the central post contacts, on the side walls. Then there are also 4 contacts on the inside at the base of the plug.

I've never examined another Speakon plug so I have nothing to compare this with.

Speakon  (1).JPG

Speakon  (2).JPG

Speakon  (4).JPG

Speakon  (5).JPG

That is not a genuine Neutrik and being 4-pole should not be used with the Combo socket. I recommend you get a cable with genuine Neutrik plugs.

• Like 2

On 30/06/2022 at 13:19, obbm said:

Something to remember is:

2-pole Speakon plugs fit 2-pole and 4-pole Speakon sockets

4-pole Speakon plugs ONLY fit 4-pole Speakon sockets.

Combo Speakon sockets are 2-pole and will ONLY take 2-pole Speakon plugs.

Neutrik combo sockets will accept 2-pole and 4-pole speakons, at least according to Neutrik.

https://www.neutrik.com/en/neutrik/products/speakon-loudspeaker-connectors/speakon-chassis-connectors/speakon-combo

I had to check as my Speakon cables are all 4-pole (I think), and I use them in combo sockets.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, police squad said:

I had similar problems with my ampeg PF500 and Mark bass cabs, so I just reverted to using jack to jack. Maybe I'll look at my speakon cables to see what they are.

What exactly is the advantage of speakon?

More rugged

Locking

Proper cable clamping

Handles higher power

Can carry 2 signals (if 4 pole)

Plugs are protected from short circuit, unlike jacks

Takes thicker cables (some jacks do too)

Solderless

Edited by Bigguy2017
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Bigguy2017 said:

More rugged

Locking

Proper cable clamping

Handles higher power

Solderless

Yes yes yes, but apart from that ...

• Haha 1

On 11/07/2022 at 09:08, Bigguy2017 said:

More rugged

Locking

Proper cable clamping

Handles higher power

Solderless

Funny isn't it.

I've never had speaker lead problems  😅I used a speakon. I thought I should use them because it was the new 'norm'

I thought I had bought Neutrik (I usually buy Neutrik stuff) but I'm not even sure where they are now, so checking could be difficult

• 2 weeks later...

Just grab a decent quality speakon-jack lead with proper Neutrik ends and good quality cable. I have a stash of obbm ones (no longer in production) and also one from designacable, will do you for your entire bass playing life. One of my obbm cables is about 14yrs old I think and still gets used every rehearsal.

• Like 1