Why become a member? ×

A decent read - for £1.99!

Mickeyboro

Just wanted to recommend a book that’s on Amazon Kindle at £1.99 right now.

I run a blues appreciation group in the local u3a and got a couple of local musicians in to do a presentation. One of these was John Holmes, who has mixed with some big names - Andy Fraser invited him to audition as Kossoff’s replacement - without ever ‘making it’. Mind you, seeing the car he drives I bet he’s happy he kept his day job (financial services, since you ask).

Anyhow this book was his lockdown project and I found it both fascinating and hilarious. I have no affiliation, nor am I on a cut of the royalties, just wanted to recommend a book that will entertain anyone of my ancient vintage … or anyone who has toiled in the semi-pro world. Written by a down to earth, self-deprecating guy.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wing-Night-Years-Semi-Pro-Guitarist-ebook/dp/B095SLVFMG/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1AOMWO4EEGNNM&keywords=john+holmes+book+music&qid=1655899896&s=books&sprefix=john+holmes+book+music%2Cstripbooks%2C59&sr=1-4

Do let me know if you enjoy it… or not!

• Like 8

On 29/06/2022 at 21:27, Mickeyboro said:

Just wanted to recommend a book that’s on Amazon Kindle at £1.99 right now.

I run a blues appreciation group in the local u3a and got a couple of local musicians in to do a presentation. One of these was John Holmes, who has mixed with some big names - Andy Fraser invited him to audition as Kossoff’s replacement - without ever ‘making it’. Mind you, seeing the car he drives I bet he’s happy he kept his day job (financial services, since you ask).

Anyhow this book was his lockdown project and I found it both fascinating and hilarious. I have no affiliation, nor am I on a cut of the royalties, just wanted to recommend a book that will entertain anyone of my ancient vintage … or anyone who has toiled in the semi-pro world. Written by a down to earth, self-deprecating guy.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wing-Night-Years-Semi-Pro-Guitarist-ebook/dp/B095SLVFMG/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1AOMWO4EEGNNM&keywords=john+holmes+book+music&qid=1655899896&s=books&sprefix=john+holmes+book+music%2Cstripbooks%2C59&sr=1-4

Do let me know if you enjoy it… or not!

Cheers for the heads up on this one. Just ordered the paperback from Amazon and will be one of my holiday reads. I love autobiographies when i'm relaxing on holiday.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Cheers for the heads up on this one. Just ordered the paperback from Amazon and will be one of my holiday reads. I love autobiographies when i'm relaxing on holiday.

Dave

I'm sure @Mickeyboro won’t mind a slight derailment;  if you haven’t read Deke Leonard’s autobiographies starting with, “Maybe I should have stayed in bed?” you're missing a real treat.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Len_derby said:

I'm sure @Mickeyboro won’t mind a slight derailment;  if you haven’t read Deke Leonard’s autobiographies starting with, “Maybe I should have stayed in bed?” you're missing a real treat.

Nice one, Len!

All available on Kindle, but I noticed a physical copy of Maybe on ebay today for £6.60 post paid! A bargain for someone…

• Like 2

Interesting you say this, I love the Rock n Roll series of books by Graham Forbes….genuinely funny.

Look good.

It's a pity only the second two are available for Kindle.

I have all the Deke Leonard stuff, which is hilarious  :laugh1:

• Like 1