Why become a member? ×

Which amp to get ?

Guest BassAdder27

Ok folks my main gigging amp is the ABM600 plus cabs etc 

Im looking for a new “ spare amp head” rated 500w minimum and something that is sensibly priced circa £500 - £700 

Im letting go the V4B and recently sold my Orange Little Bass Thing 

Looking at alternatives to 

Ashdown RM

Ampeg PF

What would you suggest as a decent second amp that will do as backup yet decent for gigging if I choose to not use the ABM600 

Ideas welcome 

With spare amps, my main consideration is getting something that is easy to carry around and generally is only needed in an emergency.

If I was looking for a brand new spare amp in that price bracket I would probably be looking at an Aguilar Tone Hammer (probably the smaller 350 watt version just to save space). Into the £700 bracket maybe the Darkglass 500 amps. I would mention the Mesa D350 or 800 but I would doubt any will be in stock. Maybe the EBS Reidmar as well. 

Being honest though I would not spend that much on a backup amp I would rarely use. I would probably buy something like the TC Electronic BQ 500 or TE Elf if buying new, given the chances of an ABM 600 going wrong on a gig is fairly minimal. That way it would be a minimal outlay. 

If weight is not an option then generally I would just get whatever I can find second hand for about £300-£500 on Ebay, Reverb or BC marketplace. That is why I ended up with an old Trace Elliot SMX head as a backup for years, which I sold because it was a pain to carry around an amp that I never used! 

1 hour ago, hamfist said:

Sounds like a good choice. Decent EQ versatility with drive options. Reasonably portable and light. 

I was recently torn between going for a Legacy 800 or an Ashdown 600. but went Ashdown in the end (12 band). 

My only comment that the EQ/Tone Stack is totally different on the GK and takes some getting used to,  in my experience.