Why become a member? ×

1970’s Fender Mustang Bass. Best strings for through body?

MungoBass

1 hour ago, Sibob said:

But you’ve got wound length around the post right?

Si

I noticed a couple of Mustangs for sale on the Bay.  One has a set of Fender long scale flats with both the A & E with string windings around the post, not the silks.  That doesn’t sit right with me......but it’s fair to say I’m extremely fussy / particular / anal about my bass gear!!!

I have my flat wound strings around the tuning capstans on my two short scales and one is through body stringing - zero problems. The only time I’ve had a problem with windings around a capstan has been when taking them off one of my 33” custom builds, because of the significantly smaller capstans on that bass (compared to a Fender one for instance), it had opened up the windings and it snapped when I straightened it a bit. Wasn’t a problem in the long run, as this allowed me to put it straight on my Mustang.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MungoBass said:

Thank you!

I have also used Thomastik Jazz Flats JF324 (?) Short Scale strings on my Mustang for some time. It might be the right choice if you want little tension, but they feel rather rubbery under the fingers. The E-string is also a bit thicker than usual (in comparison to the A-string, but also to other brands such as La Bella or Pyramid etc.). To me, the E felt super stiff and the A rather floppy at first, but I got used to it after a while. I have had Thomastik strings on my full scale basses for years (and they are, indeed, the best you can get for 34'' basses!), but I have to say that Labella's or perhaps even Dunlop flats (32”) are much better on the Mustang because of the gauge on this particular set. The jump from .70 to .106 is really noticable when you play.

Eventually, I switched to Labella’s Mustang strings and couldn’t be happier.

Edited by Owno
  • Like 1

On 02/07/2022 at 09:11, ezbass said:

I have my flat wound strings around the tuning capstans on my two short scales and one is through body stringing - zero problems. The only time I’ve had a problem with windings around a capstan has been when taking them off one of my 33” custom builds, because of the significantly smaller capstans on that bass (compared to a Fender one for instance), it had opened up the windings and it snapped when I straightened it a bit. Wasn’t a problem in the long run, as this allowed me to put it straight on my Mustang.

Thanks and I’ve noted the potential issue if they are switched to another bass!

On 02/07/2022 at 09:49, Owno said:

I have also used Thomastik Jazz Flats JF324 (?) Short Scale strings on my Mustang for some time. It might be the right choice if you want little tension, but they feel rather rubbery under the fingers. The E-string is also a bit thicker than usual (in comparison to the A-string, but also to other brands such as La Bella or Pyramid etc.). To me, the E felt super stiff and the A rather floppy at first, but I got used to it after a while. I have had Thomastik strings on my full scale basses for years (and they are, indeed, the best you can get for 34'' basses!), but I have to say that Labella's or perhaps even Dunlop flats (32”) are much better on the Mustang because of the gauge on this particular set. The jump from .70 to .106 is really noticable when you play.

Eventually, I switched to Labella’s Mustang strings and couldn’t be happier.

Thank you. Another La Bella MUS set recommendation.

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/07/2022 at 12:17, Bigguy2017 said:

D Addario EXL160M medium scale on string-through Mustang

83259983_DDEXL160MtunersS.thumb.jpg.cd5b9362d542afe237a9b394f8d29409.jpg

Perfect length...

I’ve got these 50-105 Daddarios on my Mustang currently - they sound ace. 
Before that I had the La Bella Mustang flats, which also sounded lovely. But I swapped them over as I needed to cover a broader range of material which suited roundwounds better. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bassbiscuits said:

I’ve got these 50-105 Daddarios on my Mustang currently - they sound ace. 
Before that I had the La Bella Mustang flats, which also sounded lovely. But I swapped them over as I needed to cover a broader range of material which suited roundwounds better. 

Thank you.  The bass has just arrived.....

Fender don't make short or medium scale flats so the JMJ mustang comes with long scale Fender flats fitted which sound & feel great to me—in fact I also put a set on my CIJ mustang. If they ever start sounding crappy I have a set of medium scale D'addario Chromes lying in wait—which I believe are Mr Justin MJ's strings of choice, but even after a few years they're still sealed in their packaging. I'd like to try the LaBellas, but I'll probably never get around to it.

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

Fender don't make short or medium scale flats so the JMJ mustang comes with long scale Fender flats fitted which sound & feel great to me—in fact I also put a set on my CIJ mustang. If they ever start sounding crappy I have a set of medium scale D'addario Chromes lying in wait—which I believe are Mr Justin MJ's strings of choice, but even after a few years they're still sealed in their packaging. I'd like to try the LaBellas, but I'll probably never get around to it.

Interesting point regarding the JMJ Mustang using Fender long scale flats - I had no idea that was the case and can clearly see on the Fender website the E and A strings (not the silks) wrapped around the tuning posts!

21 minutes ago, MungoBass said:

Interesting point regarding the JMJ Mustang using Fender long scale flats - I had no idea that was the case and can clearly see on the Fender website the E and A strings (not the silks) wrapped around the tuning posts!

I took the Fender flats off of my JMJ and fitted them to my ‘Ray short scale, with even more wrapped around the tuners, no problems were encountered at all.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ezbass said:

I took the Fender flats off of my JMJ and fitted them to my ‘Ray short scale, with even more wrapped around the tuners, no problems were encountered at all.

Thank you, really useful to know!  

16 hours ago, bassbiscuits said:

Love to see some pics of it in due course! 

As requested!  I’m looking forward to finding some time to have a good play and then clean it!  It has roundwounds on at the moment......

F1447CDA-4F48-4D01-AB74-4858D4858F79.jpeg

• Like 6

7 hours ago, MungoBass said:

As requested!  I’m looking forward to finding some time to have a good play and then clean it!  It has roundwounds on at the moment......

F1447CDA-4F48-4D01-AB74-4858D4858F79.jpeg

That’s stunning! I was hoping it would be one of those. Pretty much my ideal bass right there. Excellent work.

• Thanks 1