Why become a member? ×

Bluetooth Question

stewblack

Hi, part of my silent practice rig is a simple Bluetooth receiver. I plug this into a headphone amp to send backing tracks from my phone wirelessly.

I've had these before and until I put the last one through a hot wash it worked perfectly. This one however says 'connected' the moment it's turned on even though it isn't. Aha! I thought - it's connecting to something else, but the only other device in the room is a tablet, and the Bluetooth is turned off on that.

The only way I can connect is by unpairing and pairing the phone and the receiver each time. This isn't particularly galling, but I wonder what's happening and whether there's anything I can do.

Android phone, generic cheap Bluetooth receiver. Any ideas?

5 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Do your neighbours live close enough for a device in their residence to be causing the problems. Remember wireless technology is no respecter of legal boundaries.

Any reason why you can't use a wired connection? It would be much more reliable.

I can use a wired connection. I'm just curious as to what is going on. The neighbours are a possibility but with the old receiver I never had a problem.

chances are that an update of the os for the phone means that the older bluetooth unit though still compliant isn't quite of the same generation, especially from a security point of view, remember when we had to pair by sending 4 digit codes from both sides, that's done away with now for the most part.

I have the same issue with my two old cheapo bluetooth dongles, and the old bluetooth speaker (nokia) doesn't always connect without me forcing the connection from windowsPC, a bit of a pain but as with you a simple thing to work around; it could be an issue if it was something you needed to be always on always reliable though, but I think the pace of change is such that hardware becomes almost obsolete as soon as it is sold

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheLowDown said:

Whats the bluetooth frequency range, 5.8GHz or 2.4? The latter are much more susceptible to interruption.

I don't know. Can't remember where I bought it so I can't look it up I'm afraid