Why become a member? ×

New things from Mark Bass?

ossyrocks

Well what are all the Markbass critics going to do?

'It's made in Indonesia': actually the new speaker range in made in Italy

'Those neo magnets aren't as good as old school ceramic ones': the new speaker range is ceramic

'It's got yellow speakers': yes, you got me there.....

Be interested to know what they have made the enclosures from as they are very lightweight.

Edited by yorks5stringer
  • Like 3

I found the launch quite charming and somehow quite Italian. All good in my book, nice to see a company with some personality and presence. Never used markbass, prob never will, but fair play imo. 

• Like 1

I watched the whole launch presentation. It came across as very much a trade launch, designed to inspire and build confidence amongst the global distributor base. 

I’ve attended many similar affairs and they always come across as a bit dry but they’re not really targeting end consumers. 

As far as the cabs go, anything that reduces weight but maintains tonal integrity is a good thing for me. 

Where they’re made makes no difference as far as I’m concerned. The Indonesian build quality has always been excellent and, in very general terms, I’d normally opt for quality far-eastern electronics than those manufactured in a lot of European countries.

Certainly more eco-friendly to have them made in Europe if that’s where the bulk of sales are (I have no idea of their market by market sales though). 

Definitely intrigued to hear them when they make their way into UK stores :)

• Like 1

I'm interested in these.  I own a MarkBass head but don't own any of their cabs.  My MarkBass head has a bit of a treble roll off, with all the EQ set flat, and can sound a bit dull playing with fingers and a neck pick up.  Having three options for tweeters could make for some interesting choices.  I'm guessing that all the different tweeter options will work well with their heads but individual options might be better or worse with fingers or a pick, P bass or Jazz etc?

I doubt many retailers will be able to stock all three variants of a given cabinet though.

On 01/07/2022 at 15:48, yorks5stringer said:

'Those neo magnets aren't as good as old school ceramic ones': the new speaker range is ceramic

Be interested to know what they have made the enclosures from as they are very lightweight.

You left out the old 'Hissy' piezo is gone on new stuff; a new maybe not 'Hissy' Piezo with ceramic woofer version and Horn or Voice coil choice available on all combo's and cab's

On 02/07/2022 at 16:19, BillyBass said:

I'm interested in these.  I own a MarkBass head but don't own any of their cabs.  My MarkBass head has a bit of a treble roll off, with all the EQ set flat, and can sound a bit dull playing with fingers and a neck pick up.  Having three options for tweeters could make for some interesting choices.  I'm guessing that all the different tweeter options will work well with their heads but individual options might be better or worse with fingers or a pick, P bass or Jazz etc?

I doubt many retailers will be able to stock all three variants of a given cabinet though.

I am guessing the 'Pure' named Cabinets may be Markbass entry into FRFR

On 02/07/2022 at 21:19, BillyBass said:

This was my experience with my old LMII head. It was quite dark sounding with the eq set neutral and filters bypassed. As such. adjusting the tweeter L-pad on my old compression driver tweeter equipped Markbass traveller 121H didn't seem to do much, if anything at all.

On 06/07/2022 at 11:06, Nebadon2000 said:

I am guessing the 'Pure' named Cabinets may be Markbass entry into FRFR

Very possibly, but is that FRFR with their heads or a truly flat response?

On 06/07/2022 at 12:55, Greg Edwards69 said:

This was my experience with my old LMII head. It was quite dark sounding with the eq set neutral and filters bypassed. As such. adjusting the tweeter L-pad on my old compression driver tweeter equipped Markbass traveller 121H didn't seem to do much, if anything at all.

I had been led to believe the MarkBass cabs worked well with their heads and I thought my experience of them was due to not playing them through their cabs.  But maybe I was wrong; perhaps their tone just isn't for me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/07/2022 at 17:11, BillyBass said:

Very possibly, but is that FRFR with their heads or a truly flat response?

My understanding that FRFR Cab's are so you can use with Modeling and also let you hear true response of Amp/Bass without speaker coloration. In other words 'Independent of' 

They don't advertise 'FRFR' so your take may be possible 

On 01/07/2022 at 20:48, yorks5stringer said:

As a total Markbass fan of the past 15 years my main worry with the brand is product support. Markbass has released many more innovative products during this period than any other marque and my concern is that its authorised repair centers are unable to support many/most of them.

My solution was to buy backups cheaply second-hand, but there is a limit to that strategy. 

• Like 1

On 03/07/2022 at 15:14, Nebadon2000 said:

You left out the old 'Hissy' piezo is gone on new stuff; a new maybe not 'Hissy' Piezo with ceramic woofer version and Horn or Voice coil choice available on all combo's and cab's

Piezos do not hiss.The amp hisses, the piezo just puts out what it is fed.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Muzz said:

All rear ported, all with tweeters...*sigh*...😕

What have rear ports and tweeter ever done to you?

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with rear ports although they do need care with cabinet placement. Tweeters are neutral, It is the implementation of a tweeter that matters not tweeters per se.

'care with cabinet placement' - you perhaps might not gig in the sorts of places I do - I'd much rather not have that to worry about...and I never use tweeters, so they're just an added expense/complexity I can live without...*sigh again*...

On 18/07/2022 at 07:45, Chienmortbb said:

Piezos do not hiss.The amp hisses, the piezo just puts out what it is fed.

Yea no kidding😀 My point was added sarcasm to original post about MB bashers; and complaining of 'Hissing' tweeter is number one on their list and he left it out.

2 minutes ago, la bam said:

Hold on, hold on, hold on ....... it's just dawned on me ...... that makes a 30kg 8x10 ! Easily carryable and trans portable too!

Probably not affordable though :(

GR Bass have just announced a 21.5kg 8x10 🤯

https://www.grbass.com/portfolio/at-810/

Seems the Italian brands are trying to outdo each other 😜

It’s a trade war now. GR’s 2x10 vertical cab is just 7kg! They have outdone Mark Bass before Mark Bass have even hit the dealers. 

So, people with experience of their cabs, what’s your opinion?

Rob

• 3 months later...

Anyone had a chance to try out the MB 58R CMD121 Pure?

Liking the spec a lot, particularly the sub 10kg weight & 300W (500W with an extension cab) power, and a much better set of EQ centre points on the amp-head vs the old LM II/IIIs, other than the treble which is still at 10kHz, which seems a little high still to be usable.

Choking on the list price though!