Why become a member? ×

New things from Mark Bass?

ossyrocks

I used and loved early Markbass products (and still own some of their best products) and was looking forward to this as I thought they’d lost their way a bit in regards to innovation.

But the reveal. Lightweight cabs being chucked around on a keynote speech…….

Surprisingly not the worst thing that’s happened in 2022. But close.

I actually sat through it.

Very poor. Would have been less embarrassing for Marco to come out and scream “lightweight cabs you sh1tnozzles” and then do 10 lines of coke.

I’ll still try the new cabs, but in spite of the presentation, not because of it.

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, Waddycall said:

Wow. I was starting to get a bit Mark Bass curious but watching this has turned me right off🤣

The presentation/announcement of new products may have been lacking but the new look, products and cleaning out of old are great and solid move by Marco.

the '58' combo's with choice of new tweeter types along with ceramic woofer choice available and having FX loop, DI out on front [top], no rat fur, receded quality handle made in Italy along with New sized and shaped Italian line of Cabinets starting at 9.8 Kg doesn't have a 'turn off' vibe for me.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Merton said:

Get the impression he thinks he’s Steve Jobs announcing the first iPhone.

It’s a bass cab….

I think those guys really need to watch some Apple announcements to get an idea of how it's done.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nebadon2000 said:

The presentation/announcement of new products may have been lacking but the new look, products and cleaning out of old are great and solid move by Marco.

the '58' combo's with choice of new tweeter types along with ceramic woofer choice available and having FX loop, DI out on front [top], no rat fur, receded quality handle made in Italy along with New sized and shaped Italian line of Cabinets starting at 9.8 Kg doesn't have a 'turn off' vibe for me.

Never made it far enough to find out what all the fuss was about. It’s only bass amps after all........🙂

I think the only really unique thing in the marketplace here is that they are pushing the environmental angle, which is certainly a big plus in my book.

Lightweight cabs, nothing new, however if they can build them better than GR, they score a point.

Naming convention akin to the madness of how Chinese firms name their armies of mobile phones? Lose a point.

The rest is just hot air.

They do make good stuff, and I wish them all the best, I just felt after such a build up, things fell a bit short.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, la bam said:

It's a bit odd to be launching a new product when they cant even get their existing products out to market. Unless theyve launched the cabs as their current amps are on hold due to supply problems.

I recently bought a Markbass CASA 104 and it was surprisingly hard to get a hold of one.  Maybe they were already ramping down production to make way for this new series of cabs and combos?

5 minutes ago, Jazzjames said:

I recently bought a Markbass CASA 104 and it was surprisingly hard to get a hold of one.  Maybe they were already ramping down production to make way for this new series of cabs and combos?

Could be - especially if they were shifting the cab builds back to Italy.

Can't be an easy thing to arrange.

Personally I don't care where anything is built - it's not enough of an issue anymore. The days of "Far Eastern crap" are long gone.

• Like 1

Just had a look at the website. I'm sure that Marco fella is a pleasant enough chap in real life, but... he's coming across as a bit creepy.

I like how the the blurb for each of the new cabinets ends with:

MODERN CLASSIC WINNING AESTHETIC Considered by all as the most beautiful cabinet on the market!

All? They certainly didn't ask me.

Also, I do wonder how wise it is to have almost-the-same-but-not-quite variations of each cab? History tells us people don't like choices like that.

1 hour ago, wateroftyne said:

Just had a look at the website. I'm sure that Marco fella is a pleasant enough chap in real life, but... he's coming across as a bit creepy.

He named this new range after his age. How weird is that?

Anyway, we still don't know what the so-called revolution is all about. What's the cabinet material? There's no info on the website, but the corners look like polypropylene.

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

Could be - especially if they were shifting the cab builds back to Italy.

Can't be an easy thing to arrange.

Personally I don't care where anything is built - it's not enough of an issue anymore. The days of "Far Eastern crap" are long gone.

I must say that the CASA 104 cab is very nicely made and appointed by nice handles, corners and control plate.  I don't care where anything is made either; it's just about what quality standard is set by the manufacturer.  I just can't get along with yellow speakers, hence why I got the CASA.  (Looks past computer at KRK Rokit monitors 😂)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jazzjames said:

I must say that the CASA 104 cab is very nicely made and appointed by nice handles, corners and control plate.  I don't care where anything is made either; it's just about what quality standard is set by the manufacturer.  I just can't get along with yellow speakers, hence why I got the CASA.  (Looks past computer at KRK Rokit monitors 😂)

I like the yellow - and I saw in the presentation there were some made with a blue cab - still with the yellow speakers.

I really liked the look!

Looks like GR Bass has some competition.  I understand the GR Bass combos work quite well as an FRFR solution for bassists (indeed, I was told they are working on a proper FRFR solution as well).  The new Markbass Mini CMD 121 Pure seems similarly specced to a GR Bass AT Cube, so I wonder how well it would perform in an FRFR capacity.

FWIW, I had a markbass LMII and Traveller 121H.  The cab was great, although to seemed to get heavier the longer I had it!, but I never gelled with the head. I just couldn't get on with the eq section.  But now I use a helix as my tone shaper, this could be a non issue if it sounds great plugged into the fx return.

With the (now) older cabs like mine, the corners allow stacking in any orientation. Looking at the new 102 Energy cab (the one I'm interested in), it looks like it will only stack horizontally, so the option of creating a 4x10 column has vanished. Ho hum.

Rob