Why become a member? ×

String lenghts...

Webby308

I've been looking to change from flats to roundwounds which I assumed would be an easy thing.  Obviously there are loads of choices of strings, but I keep running into trouble finding the right lengths...

The bass in question is a Wal Mk1 fretted, and I'm after strings that finish (if you see what I mean) just after the nut - rather than needing 15cm or so chopped off.  Does anyone out there have any suggestions of strings that are 37 inches from the stop in the bridge to the first machine-head I could consider?  All the examples I've been recommended have been for long scale (or 34 inches) and are obviously not what I'm after...

Thanks!

I’ve never found any strings that didn’t need trimming to get a neat looking head they have to cater for all sorts of headstocks, 2+2, 3+1 etc never really thought about it it’s just always had to be done. 

• Like 1

String manufacturers have to allow for varying distances between nut and tuner, plus different headstock types (4 on one side, 3+1, 2+2) and different bridges (through body, Fender type - little distance between string end and saddles and so on). So they tend to make them a little over long. Something like a Wal has a short distance from nut to tuner compared with, for example, a Fender. The unwrapped section is designed to be cut back if needed. It won't harm the string. Ideally, the wound length should not wrap round the tuner post. I've found with some string makes on 34" scale basses and Fender-type bridges, which leave little distance between the string end and the saddle, that a medium scale string is better. The silked portion starts behind the nut. It's a case of suck it and see.

There doesn't seem to be a problem, but just one, deliberately done.

You are after a solution where you need scissors a decent piano wire cutting tool (Knipex or similar). Then you buy a box of certain brand strings you want to use. Measure, cut to length, put the strings back to their packages and start using them. Solved.

12 hours ago, itu said:

There doesn't seem to be a problem, but just one, deliberately done.

You are after a solution where you need scissors a decent piano wire cutting tool (Knipex or similar). Then you buy a box of certain brand strings you want to use. Measure, cut to length, put the strings back to their packages and start using them. Solved.

I find it best to bend the string for "fender-type" tuners first, then cut to length. Apparently it helps reduce the possibility of the windings unravelling from the core. Those who know more will likely chime in if this is reality or just precaution.

4 minutes ago, BlueMoon said:

I find it best to bend the string for "fender-type" tuners first, then cut to length. Apparently it helps reduce the possibility of the windings unravelling from the core. Those who know more will likely chime in if this is reality or just precaution.

You only need to do this with strings that have a round rather than hexagonal core.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1