Why become a member? ×

What would be your bass gig of choice from all of history?

Bilbo

3 hours ago, mike f said:

Good one! The Roxy lineup was fantastic but I’d also go with Thunes simply because he became my favourite of Frank’s bassists.

Also - Billy Gould from Faith No More, or on a different but equally heavy tip.., oh to be Brownmark from Prince and the Revolution. What a band, what a sound and what a spectacle, and of course playing bass for the man himself.

scott was a big part of what got me into Zappa, that intro to whats new in baltomore...wow...but those lines on Roxy and Tom's growly tone is amazing...if Scotts seat is taken, I'll go for Tom's..

Billy Gould is a good shout...I also forgot about Eric Avery in Janes Addiction...and Michael Henderson with Miles Davis though

13 hours ago, casapete said:

I’d have loved to take Bill Wyman’s job in the Stones. Probably late 60’s through the 70’s/ early 80’s. 

Of course I wouldn’t have been old enough.....

13 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

^ Neither was Mandy...

He only ever played in A MInor anyway.... ;)

I'll get my coat.....

• Haha 2

I think I would pick Simple Minds and probably Malcolm Foster's role. Not for his bass lines although the Real Life album is a cracker but because of Derek Forbes and John Giblin's bass lines which Malcolm got to play, especially the Street Fighting Years tours.

Edited by Linus27
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Linus27 said:

I think I would pick Simple Minds and probably Malcolm Foster's role. Not for his bass lines although the Real Life album is a cracker but because of Derek Forbes and John Giblin's bass lines which Malcolm got to play, especially the Street Fighting Years tours.

Great shout on Simple Minds, I had the New Gold Dream album on in the van recently and Derek Forbes’ bass lines on it are superb. Someone, Somewhere in Summertime is one of my fave songs from the 80’s, just wish I could play the bass line to it all the way through once in a while without messing it up!

1 minute ago, spike said:

I'd like to have been bassist in the Motown house band. Except Motown wouldn't have been nearly as good with me instead of James Jamerson.

Might have been “twice” as good if you use two fingers…

• Haha 2