Why become a member? ×

What would be your bass gig of choice from all of history?

Bilbo

Well, we can all have fantasies, but my (possibly) more realistic wish would be to play a dep gig with Natalie Williams Soul Family........

I keep hoping that Rob Mullarkey (one of my personal bass favourites) will realise he's been double booked, and give me a call...........

Well, I always thought the 2 gigs I would most like to have seen were the Genesis gigs that made up the Seconds Out album, and Ian Dury and The Blockheads in their prime ( not sure when that was though )

So, I guess I would also like to have seen them from a position on the stage with a bass in hand. Can't think of any I'd rather have done.

4 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

I'm not good enough to play any of my fantasy gigs. I'd be fired in short order.

Me too, but it is a fantasy gig. And in my fantasy Jon Anderson is asking me how on earth I played that amazing bas solo in Ritual during the 77/78 Yes In The Round Tour.  And then I wake up and I'm crammed into the alcove of the Duck and Grommit wondering how on earth I played the bass part of Mustang Sally so badly. 😀

• Haha 3

On 29/06/2022 at 11:41, jonnybass said:

If everyone is lining up for Scott Thunes, I think I'd go for Tom Fowlers time with Zappa as I love Roxy and Elsewhere.  Or Id want to be Tony Levin...Paul Simon, Peter Gabriel and King Crimson..yes please..

Good one! The Roxy lineup was fantastic but I’d also go with Thunes simply because he became my favourite of Frank’s bassists.

Also - Billy Gould from Faith No More, or on a different but equally heavy tip.., oh to be Brownmark from Prince and the Revolution. What a band, what a sound and what a spectacle, and of course playing bass for the man himself.

10 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Bootsy, in the Parliament rather than James Brown, days. It was just about Funkin' For Fun!

And obviously shedloads of drugs, which of course would make it very difficult to stand up on those platform boots.

Ah yes but, Bootsy’s bass had its own gravitational field roughly in equilibrium with that of the Earth’s. Thusly, and it’s a little known fact, Bootsy floated about 5mm off the stage. 

• Haha 1

Off the top of my head, the bass chair with the original Bad Company lineup, or maybe early Whitesnake. I can't really say Thin Lizzy, as they just wouldn't have been Lizzy without Lynott. I would love to have played with Pat Travers as well. 

Gov't Mule might be my current dream bass gig of choice... 

Edited by peteb

On 28/06/2022 at 10:13, Lozz196 said:

I think it would be Cliffs role in AC/DC for me. 

Actually, thinking about this, I'll do you a deal, Lozz; I'll have Mark Evans' gigs, you can take over Cliff's...as long as I can guest spot at the River Plate Stadium... 🙂

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Actually, thinking about this, I'll do you a deal, Lozz; I'll have Mark Evans' gigs, you can take over Cliff's...as long as I can guest spot at the River Plate Stadium... 🙂

Seems a deal to me 😀

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Bootsy, in the Parliament rather than James Brown, days. It was just about Funkin' For Fun!

And obviously shedloads of drugs, which of course would make it very difficult to stand up on those platform boots.

I’ll take the James Brown days then!

• Like 1