Why become a member? ×

Bass won't stay in tune

garnfeld

Hi all,

I have been playing the bass for almost two years now (I got my bass in December 2020) and it's been pretty cool. I have an Ibanez Talman TMB30 (shortscale) and for the most part it has been wonderful. However, I have found that the E and A strings always struggle to stay in tune: due to school and frequent exams I've not really been able to properly tend to my bass so I'm not really sure how to go about solving this issue. I've not replaced the strings yet (Almost two years, I'm so sorry!) so could that be the main issue? Or perhaps is it something to do with the truss rod? Again I'm not particularly familiar with maintenance so any help/advice is greatly appreciated! 

Kind regards :)

2 hours ago, garnfeld said:

I've not replaced the strings yet (Almost two years, I'm so sorry!) so could that be the main issue?

I am almost 100% certain that is the issue, assuming they are roundwounds that is a very long time to leave a set of strings on for

Edited by shoulderpet
  • Like 1

Post a pic of the headstock and tuning pegs...

Number of turns round the pegs, and are they defo short scale strings with a thin bit around the peg, and not long scale strings cut down,

Remember when restringing... turn the winder, dont wrap the string, as you introduce a twist along the strings length...

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Won't stay in tune over what timescale? If it won't stay in tune over a couple of songs, then there's probably something wrong. If it won't stay in tune over a couple of days, then that's fairly normal with temperature changes, humidity and any other number of reasons. 

It won't stay in tune over a couple of songs, so like you said there is something wrong. It isn't just for standard tuning either, any tuning I try will not stay for more than a song or two.

On 28/06/2022 at 17:57, BigRedX said:

The strings are two years old. Unless they are flat wounds or the bass has been barely played, they will be knackered and more than ready for replacement.

Ordered some new strings today, so like everyone else has agreed I hope it works. Thank you for the advice :)

• Like 1

On 28/06/2022 at 17:08, Reggaebass said:

I’ve never come across this problem myself, have you tried just putting on another set of strings to eliminate if it’s them or something else 

That's what I'm going to do now after everyone confirmed what the problem most likely is. Just haven't been able to get around to replacing them due to finance/school etc :) Cheers!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, garnfeld said:

That's what I'm going to do now after everyone confirmed what the problem most likely is. Just haven't been able to get around to replacing them due to finance/school etc :) Cheers!

Good luck, hopefully they will do the trick 👍