Why become a member? ×

EBMM Sterling USA 1998 Blue Pearl/Maple For Sale - *SOLD*
£1100
Hampshire

von Braun

Evening all, I have for sale an EBMM USA Sterling in Blue Pearl with the traditional unfinished roasted maple neck/board and inlaid neck plate purchased from .  The EBMM site dates it to June 15th 1998 but also states that it should have a rosewood board and while I'm no expert, I would say that the neck currently on the bass is the original, it feels so integral.

That point aside, the bass is entirely original and is in excellent working order with plenty of fret life and no crackle from the controls. I put it through its paces last night and bearing in mind that I hadn't played it in over a year and it had been sat in its case, only the G was slightly out of tune, which I thought was pretty impressive.  Being a 24 year old bass, there is one ding which I have attempted to capture in the pictures below, just below the volume knob.

For those that aren't familiar with it, the USA Sterling is a very versatile bass with a ceramic (rather than alnico) pick-up with 3-way switching between series, parallel and single coil. There is also a phantom coil which prevents hum when switched to single coil, I believe some guitar P-90s have this, it's a very useful feature.  There is a 3-band EQ giving bass boost/cut, mid boost/cut and treble boost/cut, so it is possible to dial in a lot of different tones.  Also, this is a powerful bass that can cut it with any guitar in the mix, it won't get lost that's for sure. And that brings me to the reason for sale, I just don't need something with this much grunt any more, so I would rather it went to a good home and saw some action, gutted as I will be to see it leave.  In terms of playability, this is one of the nicest basses I have had the pleasure to play, the profile of the neck is very Jazz (as opposed to the Stingray's more Precision feel) and the lack of finish gives it a fast smooth feel. The intonation is excellent all the way to the sculpted heel which gives great accessibility to the high notes, if you like that kind of thing! 😊

Set up on the Sterling is easy due to the dial wheel truss rod and the bridge is the later model (post Flea bridge with no mute posts) but very solid and keeps the strings well locked in. This one is strung with a set of DR Hi Beams (100-45s) which were put on in late 2019 when the bass was last set up and neck re-oiled but due to Covid they are hardly played and have plenty of life left.

All in all, a great bit of kit which I will be sad to see go, it comes complete with an old school, sturdy EBMM hard case (curiously like an old Fender model) which is also in very good order with no rips or tears.  The Sterling also has Schaller strap-locks fitted which I will leave on and throw in a Nu-buck strap with the matching lock clips.

I have priced this at £1100 couriered in mainland Britain, which looking at Reverb, Bass Gallery and other sites, seems a fair price point.  I will use a reliable  courier and the bass will be delivered (insured) in it's case which in turn will be wrapped.

Sterling_14.JPG

Sterling_11.JPG

Sterling_5.JPG

Sterling_2.JPG

Sterling_4.JPG

Sterling_6_Ding.JPG

Sterling_12.JPG

Sterling_20.jpg

Sterling_Dating.JPG

EBMM_Case_1.JPG

Sterling_9.JPG

Strap_Schaller.JPG

Sterling_6.JPG

Sterling_13.JPG

Edited by von Braun
Now sold.
  • Like 11

• von Braun changed the title to *Now Sold* EBMM Sterling USA 1998 Blue Pearl/Maple For Sale