Why become a member? ×

Best fret polishing material/tool

Jono Bolton

I've recently picked up a new (old) bass and the frets are pretty manky. I have the Planet Waves fret polishing kit and it's done a reasonable job, but they're still some way from being as good as they could be. What else should I be using? Are the fret erasers any good, or is it just a case of getting some steel wool on them?

The Crimson Guitars fret erasers are really good. I have the set of 4, but I have only really needed the fine and super-fine.

I’d steer clear of steel wool, the tiny metal particles go everywhere and can embed themselves in an open-pored fingerboard. 

I always use good quality 0000 steel wool. I do this outddoors and usually take the neck off. If the neck doesn't come off you can tape up the pickups to prevent the loose whiskers/bits getting in the pickups. I've never had any problem with the bits getting embedded in the fingerboard - maybe that happens if you use something other than 0000 grade.