Why become a member? ×

NBD - my first short-scale

Jono Bolton

After a week of waiting, my new bass arrived this morning - a Squier Vista Series Musicmaster, in shell pink. I've been after one of these for a while but haven't seen many turn up, and the ones I have seen have been overpriced, knackered, or both. This one was definitely overpriced when I found it on eBay, but I managed to negotiate the seller down to a more reasonable figure, though slightly north of what I'd hoped to pay. 

It's in good condition overall, with only one tiny chip on the rear of the body, and a couple of small dents. The seller said it had been "well loved", and though it definitely hasn't been abused, it hadn't been looked after. I had to take the whole thing apart and clean a fair bit of gunk off it. The frets in particular were in some state and despite my graft still need a bit more polishing to get the shite off them. I scored some very cheap D'Addario medium scale Chromes on eBay last week so it's been restrung with those, and just needs a set-up, which I'll do this evening. I've never had a short-scale before, unless you count a Bass VI, and it's great fun to play. It sounds very good through my Peavey Century. It'll be shielded and get a new Switchcraft jack later this week, and possibly a new pickguard as well.

Pics:

1499851346_PXL_20220627_1518227122.thumb.jpg.3c3df753bb8d48587fcdbeaf2aba6c1d.jpgPXL_20220627_151812660.thumb.jpg.4a51532218c72c6828229b7fff39a134.jpgPXL_20220627_151805468.thumb.jpg.ff7e67d22be6277db8d74cc8a2bb9dbc.jpg

Edited by Jono Bolton
  • Like 18

Cracking basses, these.  I had one and, at the time, also had a '78 Fender Musicmaster and a Squier VM Mustang.  The VISTA knocked spots off the other two in every department.  The pickup, particularly, was beefy and pretty aggressive.

Lovely!

There were some properly cool instruments in the Vista Series. The Musicmaster guitar and the Jagmaster (not the later 25,5" one, but the proper Vista 24" version) were really cool too. Then there's the Courtney Love signature Venus guitar though...

• Like 1

On 27/06/2022 at 16:34, Jono Bolton said:

After a week of waiting, my new bass arrived this morning - a Squier Vista Series Musicmaster, in shell pink. I've been after one of these for a while but haven't seen many turn up, and the ones I have seen have been overpriced, knackered, or both. This one was definitely overpriced when I found it on eBay, but I managed to negotiate the seller down to a more reasonable figure, though slightly north of what I'd hoped to pay. 

It's in good condition overall, with only one tiny chip on the rear of the body, and a couple of small dents. The seller said it had been "well loved", and though it definitely hasn't been abused, it hadn't been looked after. I had to take the whole thing apart and clean a fair bit of gunk off it. The frets in particular were in some state and despite my graft still need a bit more polishing to get the shite off them. I scored some very cheap D'Addario medium scale Chromes on eBay last week so it's been restrung with those, and just needs a set-up, which I'll do this evening. I've never had a short-scale before, unless you count a Bass VI, and it's great fun to play. It sounds very good through my Peavey Century. It'll be shielded and get a new Switchcraft jack later this week, and possibly a new pickguard as well.

Pics:

1499851346_PXL_20220627_1518227122.thumb.jpg.3c3df753bb8d48587fcdbeaf2aba6c1d.jpgPXL_20220627_151812660.thumb.jpg.4a51532218c72c6828229b7fff39a134.jpgPXL_20220627_151805468.thumb.jpg.ff7e67d22be6277db8d74cc8a2bb9dbc.jpg

I love that! So cool and a fantastic finish. I've recently bought my first short scale,since I started playing 32 years ago.

You've inspired me,to put a review on myself 😁

On 29/06/2022 at 08:14, Paul S said:

Cracking basses, these.  I had one and, at the time, also had a '78 Fender Musicmaster and a Squier VM Mustang.  The VISTA knocked spots off the other two in every department.  The pickup, particularly, was beefy and pretty aggressive.

It's quite deceptive; it feels almost toy-like compared to my P Bass, but the sound from it was completely unexpected. It can do proper clank, but dialling back the tone gives you a very nice thump.

On 29/06/2022 at 08:16, LeftyJ said:

Lovely!

There were some properly cool instruments in the Vista Series. The Musicmaster guitar and the Jagmaster (not the later 25,5" one, but the proper Vista 24" version) were really cool too. Then there's the Courtney Love signature Venus guitar though...

I actually like the Venus! The angle of the strings begin the bridge doesn't seem very well thought through, though