Why become a member? ×

Standard function tunes?

dclaassen

This is probably just idle curiosity, as playing in a function band does not sound like my idea on big fun, but…

I keep seeing dep ads that refer to “standard function tunes”. Being relatively new to the customs here, and only having pub band experience, does this mean there are a specific list of tunes? If so, what are they (just in case)?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dclaassen said:

... what are they (just in case)?

Look up the web sites of a few function bands and look for a set list in there. Most will have a (possibly very long...) list of what they're offering prospective clients. Here's one, picked at random; there are hundreds in your area...

Electric Soul Club Repertoire...

• Like 1

Basic stuff really, always includes, Superstition, Valerie, Sex on Fire, Mr Brightside, SWH, Get Lucky, Aint Nobody, Proud Mary, Oasis e.t.c

Rock n roll is all pretty much the same as long as they give you a key before you start your all good. 

Most deps will send you a setlist, so as long as you've got a good rep you're all good. Usually as a dep you're last minute so may not get a set till the night before or on the day if it's very last minute. 

It will be vague, depending on the kind of gig, the time of year (think Christmas) and also the vocalists (male/female) range and capability. 
ask for a set list and keys to be played in and learn quickly 😂🤣

As said above scour function band set lists and see what crops up regularly learn those well and if necessary wing the rest 

.and if you're expecting to dep at wedding gigs then make sure you know A Thousand Years.

I mainly do deps, and generally a setlist and keys a few days beforehand is pretty usual, but bear in mind that some bands will say " oh, we play it just like the record" but you have a nasty surprise when thay launch into the song and it's pretty unrecognisable, usually because some key ingredient is missing, like the correct chords, for example. 🥺

And if it's a popular song that's been covered by several artists then make sure you're clear about which version the band are playing, or a musical car crash might take place.

Edited by musicbassman
  • Haha 2

Just think of slightly outdated, tired, overplayed songs that people call ‘classics’, that you loathe the thought of having to play to other human beings. That will make up the majority of any function band set.

Can you tell I how much I have loved playing in function bands over the past 20 years.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

47 minutes ago, NJE said:

Just think of slightly outdated, tired, overplayed songs that people call ‘classics’, that you loathe the thought of having to play to other human beings. That will make up the majority of any function band set.

Can you tell I how much I have loved playing in function bands over the past 20 years.

No, it’s really not coming out of your prose. You should stop holding back the emotions : baffledlook

• Like 1

Functions are usually  filled with a varied age group so you have to think what's inoffensive and catchy. What goes down well in the pub to a bunch of young, pished revellers might not do so well in front of their Auntie Joan and her husband George.

We used to have almost two sets. One was for gigs and one was for functions.

Superstition

Summer of 69

Mr brightside

Sex on fire

Wagon wheel

Call me al

Loch lomond

500 miles

Proud mary

Sit down

Crazy little thing called love

Dakota

Dancing in the daek

Johnny b goode

Valerie

Ten out of ten

Get lucky 

stinky poo up and dance

Can't stop the feeling

Uptown funk

Don't stop beleiving

A little respect 

Footloose

Dies your mother know 

My girl 

I'm a depper, and I've found almost every band will play the majority of these tunes. In Scotland anyway. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ubit said:

Functions are usually  filled with a varied age group so you have to think what's inoffensive and catchy. What goes down well in the pub to a bunch of young, pished revellers might not do so well in front of their Auntie Joan and her husband George.

We used to have almost two sets. One was for gigs and one was for functions.

Yes, know who you are going to play to and what their preference is.

As an example, my covers band have been booked to play at a celebration evening for an amateur choir. We’ve been specifically asked to play nothing newer than 70s songs. Apparently the average age in the choir is 80. The members I know are lovely people,  it’s going to be at a nice location and pays well, so it’s all good.

• Like 1

On 27/06/2022 at 16:06, dclaassen said:

This is probably just idle curiosity, as playing in a function band does not sound like my idea on big fun, but…

I keep seeing dep ads that refer to “standard function tunes”. Being relatively new to the customs here, and only having pub band experience, does this mean there are a specific list of tunes? If so, what are they (just in case)?

You'll be lucky to narrow it down. I once depped for a band who I'd never met until the night. The only interaction I'd had was with the band leader by email when I asked for a setlist. He replied, it's all standards, you'll be fine. 

I spent the whole evening working very hard playing 3 hours of tunes I had never heard before in my life. "This one is in E. After 4..."

• Like 2

Will vary slightly depending on band. I only do functions but we are pretty much just indie pop rock so have never done uptown funk or get lucky type stuff. Client never gets to pick the set list. At most they can suggest 3 songs from our repertoire. If they want us to learn something we don't do then it's £100 per song.

Any band worth it's salt will have live recordings of every song they do so that a dep can learn from those and avoid surprises on the night. We have a folder on google drive that we share with anyone who deps for us. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1vYKwbcL6hY5ZeXbuSmDlhoTh0aPvlFBM

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 28/06/2022 at 08:26, Elfrasho said:

I'm a depper, and I've found almost every band will play the majority of these tunes. In Scotland anyway. 

Thanks for the list.  I play mainly in church, or blues for my own amusement, that's a completely different selection to learn. 

I reckon I should be able to muddle through those by Christmas - with the exception of those 10 seconds in the middle of Call Me Al!

Funny how this list is mostly what I would call standard pub band. Not really what I would have expected for a "function" but then again I've played a lot of these songs at weddings and sports club award dinners, so I guess they're functions too! I used to waiter at dinner dances and so on in my teens (twenty plus years ago) when I was still bashing out Hendrix tunes along to cassettes. I remember one really good function band that would always play "dance the night away" by the Mavericks and give their bass player a turn on lead vocals for "c'est la vie" by Chuck Berry, in my mind that was always what a typical function band would be but sounds like either times have changed or they were quite niche.

The term function band just means a band that plays functions. You get all different types within that bracket. Funk bands, disco bands, rock bands, tribute bands etc etc so the range of "standard" tunes is quite wide. 

• Like 1

On 28/06/2022 at 08:26, Elfrasho said:

Superstition

Summer of 69

Mr brightside

Sex on fire

Wagon wheel

Call me al

Loch lomond

500 miles

Proud mary

Sit down

Crazy little thing called love

Dakota

Dancing in the daek

Johnny b goode

Valerie

Ten out of ten

Get lucky 

stinky poo up and dance

Can't stop the feeling

Uptown funk

Don't stop beleiving

A little respect 

Footloose

Dies your mother know 

My girl 

Oh dear. That's a pretty dispiriting list. Surely It's something of a struggle summoning up the enthusiasm to play these

If anyone doesn't like the material, all they have to do is say no.

IMO that's a great list. Designed to do a good job. The dispiriting thing is when players accept the gig and they don't play the songs well or with no enthusiasm.

• Like 2